Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Scratches in Carboy (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/scratches-carboy-169292/)

jalgayer 03-20-2010 08:13 PM

Scratches in Carboy
 
Hey All,

I am new to this and used a brush on a plastic carboy I got in a kit from Northern Brewer.

There are visible scratches up near the top from using the brush.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do or not to do from here? Use it or not? Primary or Secondary? Cautions?

Thanks

PS When I contacted NB, they said you arent supposed to use a brush on a plasitc carboy. I told em it was weird that they gave me a carboy brush and a carboy and expected me not to use it. They agreed and have replaced the primary and secondary that I scratched. I am just wondering if that they are useful for anything.

Stickshaker 03-20-2010 08:39 PM

Flower pot? Thats some pretty sweet customer service, though..

jalgayer 03-20-2010 09:28 PM

Yes...excellent service. Just wanted to see what everyone thought if they were useful for ANYTHING (besides a flower pot)

Can it be used for a secondary (since the alcohol has developed)? Can I use it as primary?

Thoughts?

yournotpeter 03-20-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalgayer (Post 1957093)
Yes...excellent service. Just wanted to see what everyone thought if they were useful for ANYTHING (besides a flower pot)

Can it be used for a secondary (since the alcohol has developed)? Can I use it as primary?

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't...those scratches are bacteria traps....and regardless of alcohol being developed or not, bacteria can still spoil a batch...even if it's fermented out. Just my two cents.

jalgayer 03-20-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yournotpeter (Post 1957102)
I personally wouldn't...those scratches are bacteria traps....and regardless of alcohol being developed or not, bacteria can still spoil a batch...even if it's fermented out. Just my two cents.

I had a feeling this was the case. The scratches are surface scratches and not deep but I think I am done with these.

Any suggestions for what you do with these?

danielinva 03-20-2010 10:48 PM

I've heard (somewhere on this site) of people using turkey size oven bags as a liner for scratched buckets. Serves two purposes actually, as you neither have to worry about bacteria nor cleaning.

jalgayer 03-20-2010 10:57 PM

wow. never heard that... anyone else?

Stickshaker 03-20-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielinva (Post 1957166)
I've heard (somewhere on this site) of people using turkey size oven bags as a liner for scratched buckets. Serves two purposes actually, as you neither have to worry about bacteria nor cleaning.

Oooh, that's a great idea...

Newbeerguy 03-20-2010 11:37 PM

Nope never heard of lining with an over bag either.....but I too now have a scratched carboy :(
Mine is glass and I guess I went a little overboard with the brush, the upper part of the carboy is stratched like crazy.....ehh does the same thing go for glass as plastic? Get rid of it?

IceFisherChris 03-20-2010 11:46 PM

I would gladly take it and use it for fermenting beer.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.