LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
postman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...NGU&lpage=none

Heres the link to the bottles im talking about. Once you use the water.. either drinking or brewing.. you basically have a 3 gallon better bottle.
Mirilis,

I really like the Lowes Better Bottle idea, really good idea. Do you have any idea what stopper it takes? Also, have you used this bottle before with success. I actually need bottled water where I live (chloramine) so this would work out perfectly. As I stated before, I'm big on the secondary due to unpredictable life with kids. Thanks a ton.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #22
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was gifted a 10 liter demi-jon for Christmas, which is roughly 2.65 gal. I just did a small batch for the first time, primary in a 5 gal, then I'll secondary in the 10L. I agree that the headspace should be fully displaced even in your 6.5gal. Once vigorous fermentation is underway, and you don't remove the airlock until you want to transfer it, should be no prob. The only hang up is that the hop oils from the krausen aren't expelled and barely cling to the sides. Maybe I'll filter as I transfer to secondary. Try to find a 10L demi-jon or carboy it should be perfect for what you're thinking about.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #23
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I brew 12 to 24 gallon batches and it seems to dissapear with ease. I share a lot of it with friends but mostly family. I think the best solution is more storage capacity and not less batch volume. Beer needs aging and it does not get aging if you go from fermenter to mug. Bottle and keg more is the answer for me. That means I don't have to brew as often and have beer on hand for whatever comes up. I believe that is what Biermuncher does.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC
I brew 12 to 24 gallon batches and it seems to dissapear with ease. I share a lot of it with friends but mostly family. I think the best solution is more storage capacity and not less batch volume. Beer needs aging and it does not get aging if you go from fermenter to mug. Bottle and keg more is the answer for me. That means I don't have to brew as often and have beer on hand for whatever comes up. I believe that is what Biermuncher does.
I'm in this boat too. I usually brew 20 gallons at a go, and never run out. My big chest freezer holds 6x 6.5g carboys or 13 kegs. My little one holds 6 kegs. I always have three on tap in the kegerator. Life is good.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman
I really like the Lowes Better Bottle idea, really good idea. Do you have any idea what stopper it takes? Also, have you used this bottle before with success. I actually need bottled water where I live (chloramine) so this would work out perfectly. As I stated before, I'm big on the secondary due to unpredictable life with kids. Thanks a ton.
I havnt used them becuase im not trying to scale down, im actually trying to scale up.. 5 gal just isnt cutting it.. i run out constantly... i drink about 60% of it but i like to have people come over to share whats on tap that particular weekend.

Go here.. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56936

and you will find some good info about plastic water bottles.. theres even a pic of one guy using one he got at lowes.. but i believe he put a carboy cap on it instead of a stopper.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my suggestion is to start drinking heavily! then you won't have to scale back.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #27
Nomad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Small is Great

Go for the smaller batches. I would buy a 3 gallon carboy for the secondary-- $15. I've done lots of scale down recipes with my 5 gal. carboy as the primary and the 3 gal. as the secondary. I have an apt. and only drink a few a week so this has worked really well.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman
Mirilis,

I've used these bottles before with a stretchy carboy cap.
http://undergrounddigital.com/fermentinghardware.htm (carboy cap red rubber).

You can also take the cap that comes with the bottle and drill a hole. The material (there's a little clearish plastic insert in the center of the cap) is soft enough that it forms a decent seal if the hole is slightly smaller than the airlock/tube.

Neither the more common 6.5 gal or 3/5/6 gal caps with the two ports fits, one is too big, the other too small.

The other problem is the the bottles have lots of little crevices in the bottom that are a pain in the ass to clean. I used to brew with the water in the bottles so I just used the bottles once as carboys and recycled them.

I also brew 2.5 batches mostly for the same reason. I'd rather brew more batches and experiment with different beers and I can't drink the results of the experiments fast enough. Brewing smaller batches means brewing more often, which also helps me learn and improve faster. I really like dialing in my process and variables so I can recreate recipes each time and get repeatable, predictable results, and brewing more small batches helps with that too. Also, there's less commitment per batch so I'm freer to try more extreme methods and ingredients. If the results aren't good, I'm dumping (but probably still drinking ) half as much crappy beer. I have run into the problem where I've made a batch that I really like (or rather my girlfriend really liked) and had it get consumed before I could make more, but in those cases I just make a bigger batch of that recipe next time.

Last edited by reshp1; 03-27-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
postman
Recipes 

reshp1,

I'm glad you've had success with the small batches. Also, not a bad idea to use the bottles and chuck them. Even still, perhaps a 3 gallon glass is not a bad investment. My brew day is approaching, so I'm getting stoked to try my two yeast experiment. Seems like we're on the same wavelength, brew often and split the batches for variety. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely report back to this thread once my experiment is over. Peace

Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #30
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Why on earth would you want to scale down? More beer is better!!! All you have to do is store it until you drink it.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply