Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Scaling Down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The big problem with small batches is when you really really like one of them. It's gone way too fast. Then again, I'm thinking of a 5-6 hour all grain brew day. I'd be damned if I'm gonna put that kind of time into it and have it only be a couple six packs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #12
ChemBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree, that would be alot of work for an AG batch, but I'm an extract brewer. When I find something I really like, I should be able to scale up without a problem.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I must be warped. I'm tryin to figure out how to get three 10-gallon brews done in the next ten days.

Seems like the only thing keeping you from doing more frequent 5-gallon batches, is bottling capacity. I can't imagine any time or effort savings in doing 2-3 gallons VS 5.

If that's the case, maybe put some effort into increasing your storage capacity. Any break in your brewing routine, and you'll be glad that you stowed away an extra case per brew.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #14
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I must be warped. I'm tryin to figure out how to get three 10-gallon brews done in the next ten days.

Seems like the only thing keeping you from doing more frequent 5-gallon batches, is bottling capacity. I can't imagine any time or effort savings in doing 2-3 gallons VS 5.

If that's the case, maybe put some effort into increasing your storage capacity. Any break in your brewing routine, and you'll be glad that you stowed away an extra case per brew.
BM -- seriously man -- what the heck do you do with all that beer you brew? If you're drinking it, man you must have one bloated liver! Seriously, I am REALLY curious now.

Anyways, I think the OP said that he doesn't drink a lot, and wants to build up a good variety of different beers. Making smaller batches would be a great way to accomplish that, particularly if these are quick and easy extract brews. I don't think he was looking to save time or effort by going smaller, though.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
postman
Recipes 

Greetings,

I've opened up this thread again with a question. To experiment with different yeasts, I'll be splitting my 5 gal extract brew into 2 vessels, a 5 & 6 gal carboy.

Q1: How long can the primary endure theoretically? I know what conventional wisdom says. How about experience. Who has gone the distance - over 4 weeks? If so, what quality? ( I have 2 kids under 2, so bottling is never scheduled)

Q2: Is it worth secondary in the same vessels to remove it off the trub or simply commit to the possible longer primary? I know there is a potential contamination issue from the oxygen in the head space.

Q3: Can I use dry yeast that has been in the fridge since the early fall? Expiration date is way in the future.

I'm looking forward to the yeast experiment, actually excited to see the different tastes. I'm just trying to get some opinions before I commit to it. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Split the beer and leave them in the primaries longer.

No need to secondary, unless it's a huge beer that needs extended (5+ weeks) conditioning time.

Lots of folks forego transferring to a secondary and let the primary do all the work.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe you should go to Lowes and buy the 3 gallon jugs of water there that are in teh PET bottles. They are like 5-6 bucks and you can still keep your buckets open for the ocasional large batch of something you really like or goes fast.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...NGU&lpage=none

Heres the link to the bottles im talking about. Once you use the water.. either drinking or brewing.. you basically have a 3 gallon better bottle.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #19
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If cost isn't an issue, you could always keep making 5 gallon batches, and start designing labels in your free time. Once you have some great labels and interesting brews, you can start making beer "gift baskets" to take over to friends houses when they do dinners or to family gatherings.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Bob Loblaw
Recipes 

I share most of mine, I am lucky if I get to drink 1/3 of a batch... Its ok though, I enjoy making it as much as drinking it (not the $ part though...) and I like introducing different beer to people. The less people drinking bad mass-produced beer the better. So if you don't want all your beer in a 5 gal batch, send some to me.

"Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita" - Life is too short to dance with ugly women

Primary 1: Raspberry Hefe
Primary 2: Phat Tyre
Secondary 1: Kelly's Killer Porter (dry-hopped)
On Tap: Irish Stout, IPA, Brown Ale, Apfelwein, ESB, Pissed off Porter, Aaron's Bitter,Smoked Porter,American PA

Quick Reply