Saving an extract from a botched All Grain purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubenr3

Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday I got a hair up my nose to brew an All Grain pale. Puchased 9 lbs of malt (8.2 lbs of American Pale, 3/4 lb 40L Crystal).

Then, I actually started watching youtube videos on how to AG brew and realized that I am grossly underprepared and probably won't be able to secure the needed equipment before the grains go bad.

So, big question: can I use these grains in this quantity in conjunction with 5lbs of American Pale malt extract? Or, to put it another way, I'm sure I can do it, but what will the effect on the beer be? Crazy strong pale flavor? Is there an extract that I can use which will make a wonderfully different type of variety?

If you're not going to be mashing then your not going to get anything out of the 2-row by steeping except for flavor/ aroma/ color, no sugar. I don't understand what you mean by a strong pale flavor, an APA should be hop forward. What makes you think that your grain will go bad before you can get the all grain equipment?

The grains are milled, right?

Put them in a ziploc bag. They will be fine to for a couple of months.

Thanks, should've mentioned that this would/will be my 2nd brew.

The ziplock bag solution is probably ideal for me. Since my grains are mixed together, maybe I'll just use them as specialty grains in an extract recipe. Still green in terms of different malt effects on beer flavor. Does 2 rowmalt add anything in terms of flavor? Or is it too mild?

Where are you from? Someone may let you borrow equipment if someone's close... If you lived close to me, I know I would. I hate to see anyone have the ingredients but not the hardware!

You could go ahead and brew with what you have by doing a BIAB batch.

You really only need a pot and heat enough to boil. If it is a 5 gallon batch and you use your stove make sure it will bring 5 gallons to a boil or you will have to readjust your recipe to make a brew that can take top up water.

steeping the 2 row is going to be a waste of good grains IMO. I agree with The542 in that maybe someone can loan you thier equipment or brew with you in your area. Considering your grains are mixed together I wouldn't bother attempting to steep them in an extract. If you can't work something out equipment wise I would go back to the drawing board for an extract batch.

:off: Why would you buy ingredients for an all grain batch before A. knowing what is involved, and B. having the basic equipment to do the job?

Do some one gallon all grain batches. Just use a muslin grain bag and you are in business. Test different hops or yeasts so you can get an idea of what does what and you can practice good mini mashing techniques.

The idea just above is a good one. Or you can go to Home Depot and buy some 5-gallon paint strainer bags and do a BIAB. Those bags aren't quite ideal in my experience (a little small for me) but the beer will come out and probably be just fine.

Look up partial mash.

You can mash in a large pot (2-3 gals) in the oven (pre-warmed, turned off) and strain in a colander or large kitchen sieve lined with a grain bag or paint strainer bag.

If you have a larger pot, 4 gals, like a canning kettle, you can do an all-grain mash for a smallish beer in that say up to 1.050. The same way. Read up on mashing and be inventive.

^^ - Definitely the easiest way to go.

And, if you've got a smaller pot, use the other write-up by the same guy https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/. I started partial mashing according to those instructions and it works great. In addition to a pot for boiling (which I'm assuming you've got) all you need is a 5gal paint strainer bag that you can pick up at a hardware store like Home Depot for $2-3. If your boil kettle is 5-6 gal and you have a way to boil that, you should definitely be able to do an all-grain batch. On the other hand, if you're like me when I was moving on from extract and your boil kettle is more like 3 gal, use half of the grain for one partial mash batch and save the other half for the next batch. You'll have to add some extract to get up to your gravity, but with a late extract addition and topping up with water in the fermenter, you can make a nice APA with what you've got. Maybe for the second batch go for an IPA, or toss some darker malt in there for a stout, plenty of options with a 2-row/crystal mix.

Latest posts

Back