Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
sweepking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepking
Hello all, new guy here. I figured this would be as good a place as any to jump in. I use One Step and have had no problems with it. Very easy and doesn't stain things the way Iodophor can.
Recently I have been using Clorox Oxi Magic for my sanitizing with no problems. In the research that I have done, I don't think there is any difference between it and One Step and you can get it a lot easier and cheaper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Bike4ale
Recipes 

Default How about a 20 month soak???

I just joined the forum, but I've been brewing for about 10 years. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Up until Saturday, I hadn't brewed in almost 2 years (20 months to be exact....I know, shame on me!). I use glass carboys for both primary & secondary fermentation. My glass carboys had been sitting in the basement for 20 months with an iodophor/water sanitizing solution in them. They were sealed with plastic wrap and a rubber band.

In my opinion, they're sanitized, right? I hope so....My "Better-'n-Haggis" Scottish Ale has been in the primary since Saturday. The carboy had that sterile smell to it. I did clean off all the dust from the exterior of the carboy and spray some sanitizer on the outside.

I guess time will tell. I'm going to transfer to the secondary in a few days and am thinking the other carboy must also be sanitized after all this time. I mean, does it lose potency? Should I have re-sanitized. I'll let you know how I make out, but would appreciate any input some of you may have.

It feels good to be back at the kettle!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
The Professor

Recipes 

If the containers were airtight then they should still be sanitized even if the iodiphor lost its potency. But it may be worth re-sanitizing just for piece of mind. If the primary doesn't get infected (which I doubt it will) then the secondary would be even less likely due to the alcohol/yeast content of your beer. But why take a chance?

Old 12-02-2004, 02:57 AM   #14
Ken Powers

Recipes 

Default Sanitizer

I, for one, am a great fan of Iodophor as a sanitizer. It doesn't require rinsing if used in the proper proportions. Bleach, even after rinsing, can leave aftertastes if not rinsed very, very well.

As for cleaners, I really like Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It is easy to use and does the job very well.

Quick Reply