Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sanitize Cold-Brewed Coffee?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
siobhan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWIW, my last brew was a coffee (actually, breakfast) stout. I was told to brew or cold-brew the coffee & add it later.

However, I grew up before coffeemakers and started my coffee brewing life with 'camp coffee', just dumping the grounds into water at a rolling boil and then letting them steep. I took a shot and added coarsely cracked beans at flameout, essentially brewing them in the wort. Strained them out after the chill.

It worked great, came out just right for me. But I'll bet all the other methods work great, too. Sometimes I just like to be stubborn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a coffee porter this winter and agonized for a while about how to do the coffee addition. I ended up coarsely grinding the beans and putting them in a 1L mason jar, then topped it off with water. Left it in the fridge for about 4 or 5 days, then just strained the jar out into the bottling bucket. The coffee flavor didn't come through overwhelmingly at all, but the aroma was there and was amazing - it added a lot to the beer.

I used about 4.5oz coffee beans for the 5-gallon batch.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
finley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bring it to boiling after you get the cold brew coffee off the grounds.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Old thread, but I had a similar concern and still do. Mine is about the sanitary state of my coffee grinder that's been used every day for years, not the beans or the water. In the past I decided to heat the tea kettle and made hot coffee in the press as normal. Then I let it steep in the fridge for 3 days, filtered and added to the secondary with 8oz cacao nibs. This particular stout came out fantastic with an excellent, subtle coffee background & nose...but I have no comparison with a true "cold pressed" batch. FYI I didn't sanitize the nibs, just threw them in... but that's a different debate

Anyone else have experience with this? I'd still like to try a true cold pressed batch on my current RIS. I'm sure it'd be fine, but this one would be a major bummer if anything bad happened.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 57 Posts

No need to sanitize. I have a 16oz French press I use for my cold brewed coffee. Grind up some coffee (what you want/need may vary), dump it into the French press, fill with cold tap water, stir, then let sit for 24 hours covered with foil. Then at kegging, I rack the beer on top of the coffee. Works wonderfully, beer doesn't go bad. I think coffee may be too acidic to harbor bacteria.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
unkyjack
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a chocolate-coffee stout conditioning right now in which I used cold-brewed coffee. This was my first time trying the cold-brew technique. Basically, I followed the cold-brewing info in one of the Basic Brewing videos on YouTube. The idea is not to heat the coffee at all because doing so will release oils, which you don't want to do.

For my 1 gallon small-batch, I put ground coffee in a sterilized peanut-butter jar and added room temperature bottled spring water. The jar went in the refrigerator for a few days to brew. Then I took it out of the fridge and filtered the coffee through an unbleached paper coffee filter to remove the coffee grinds. The filtered coffee went back in the fridge for a few more days. On brew day, I poured the coffee into the fermenter, racked the wort onto it, pitched the yeast and allowed it to ferment as usual. At bottling, I took a taste from the hydrometer sample and was happy with the results -- a very clean coffee taste that wasn't overpowering.

Maybe it was beginner's luck this time, but it was easy to do and worked out well. I'll definitely try it again.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Heck, on my breakfast stout, which was awesome by the way. I cooled to 160, threw in coffee grinds, and let sit for 5-10 mins then cooled. Did a dry coffee by dumping an additional 2 oz of grinds to the beer and let sit for a few days. Tasted fine, aged for months and no hair or pellicle grown on the beer at all.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #18
rafaelpinto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Actually, why cold brew if you can just "dry coffee" on a secondary? If you leave a well crushed amount of coffee beans in a hop bag for 24 hours... you will still be cold brewing it.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #19
yeahfairly
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Has anyone used the Starbuck Via instant coffee packets? The flavor is awesome and they mix into solution almost instantly.... I would think you could just add to taste at bottling time?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahfairly View Post
Has anyone used the Starbuck Via instant coffee packets? The flavor is awesome and they mix into solution almost instantly.... I would think you could just add to taste at bottling time?
Are those actually good? I have not yet had an instant coffee that was good and didnt have that "instant coffee" flavor (kinda an old coffee/plastic flavor). And I thought the starbucks ones came with the creamer and sugar in them already as well. That is an idea though.

Quick Reply