Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Saison yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
html034
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Saison yeast

Hey, i am looking to brew a saison, and I was looking at getting the kit from midwest, which comes with wyeast 3942 belgian wheat. But i was looking through the wyeast website and they have a strain 3724 belgian saison. So, what I would like to know is, does anyone have any knowledge regarding which one of these strains would be better? (and by better, I of course mean, leave me with a better, more saison-y beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I made a saison not that long ago with the 3724 strain. That, obviously, is a saison strain, the 3942 isn't. I would definitely go with the 3724 if you want to make a saison.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Try Saison Dupont, or if you've had it think of its taste. Their yeast is, or is very similar to, Wyeast and Whitelabs Saison yeast. Although the Whitelabs can have problems with attenuation. So if you want that, go with the saison yeast. Farmhouse Ales lists the wit yeast and others as possible yeasts for saisons. But its hard to argue that if you can get a saison yeast, its a better choice. More than anything though, taste Dupont and see if you like it. Lastly, start in the high sixties and ramp the temp up to the eighties for best flavor and attenuation. Saison = Dry in my book.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I recommend going ahead and ordering a dry yeast to finish the beer off. Im having hell with my saison, Im about to throw some brett in there to finish off the job.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
html034

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Try Saison Dupont, or if you've had it think of its taste. Their yeast is, or is very similar to, Wyeast and Whitelabs Saison yeast. Although the Whitelabs can have problems with attenuation. So if you want that, go with the saison yeast. Farmhouse Ales lists the wit yeast and others as possible yeasts for saisons. But its hard to argue that if you can get a saison yeast, its a better choice. More than anything though, taste Dupont and see if you like it. Lastly, start in the high sixties and ramp the temp up to the eighties for best flavor and attenuation. Saison = Dry in my book.
I have tried Saison Dupont, and I loved it, which is the only reason i decided to do this style. Now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my temp up in the 80's in a house that stays between 62 and 70 pretty much all the time? I was thinking of the brew belt, would that work? Any other ideas?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

back to the yeast, isn't wyeast's saison a seasonal release? I feel like I read that somewhere.
-ander

Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by html034
I have tried Saison Dupont, and I loved it, which is the only reason i decided to do this style. Now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my temp up in the 80's in a house that stays between 62 and 70 pretty much all the time? I was thinking of the brew belt, would that work? Any other ideas?
I put mine in the bath tub with warm water. If you close the door it keeps it warm in their for a good 12 hours+.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
html034

Recipes 

I just read something about using an aquarium heater in a tub of water, and that sounded like a really good idea to me.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I put it in front of a space heater wrapped with a blanket and one side open to allow the heat in, if you don't have one they can be cheap(under $20).

3724 Wyeast Saison is not seasonal, the VSS before last they had 3711 French Saison which was seasonal(and a great yeast which they may make permanent).

Quick Reply