Sad News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I am rennovating my kitchen and after this batch, I cannot brew any more beer or wine until it is done. :(

I have 2 kegs 1/2 full (Stout and IPA), 1 batch about to be kegged (ESB) and the last batch that will be brewed this weekend (IPA). I am not sure this will last me 2 months! :drunk:

The worse news is we are going to be moving so I really will not have the time or space to do any beer for probably 3 months or so. :mad:

I am accepting donations so that I am not forced to buy store bought beer. I am proud to say that I have not had a store bought in over a year! :mug:

Nothing wrong with store-bought beer! I brewed 195 gallons last year and I still buy stuff. Good to see what's going on out there!

First, wow 195 gallons and still buying beer. I am guessing you have a lot of friends. I need to show this site to my SWMBO so she thinks what I am doing is not so serious. She just shrugs her head now when I bring something home like last night when I came home with a keg, for my keggle conversion. :off:

Anyways, back to the topic, I just hope your remodel doesn't go over the estimated time as projects tend to do, but you seem to be pretty well stocked up.

Let me understand this:

You are remodeling the kitchen, THEN moving?

Considering a kitchen re-model is the absolute, all-time, all-place, worst home project, WHY?!

Don't think of it as "buying store-bought beer". Think of it as research. Seek out beers you haven't tried yet and you might find something new you want to try when you get back to brewing!

Let me understand this:

You are remodeling the kitchen, THEN moving?

Considering a kitchen re-model is the absolute, all-time, all-place, worst home project, WHY?!

Over the past 3 years my home has had new:

siding
all exterior doors and windows
roof
gutters
A/C
Garage doors/openers
All rooms have been renovated (accept kitchen)
(real) home theater added

The kitchen is the only room that has not been done, it is really bad. It was rennovated back in the 70's and has all Ikea like particle board cabinets in very poor shape.

I will do all the work myself (accept the granite) and figure the whole room will cost me $15-$18k. I went with a high end Kraftmaid cherry cabinet. Our home is in the best location in my community and is the best model. We expect to get a fairly high price for it (relative).

In this market, when a potential buyer would come in, they may (now) immediately dismiss the house due to the kitchen. Not only do I expect to get all the remodel money back, I really believe the remodel will enable the house to sell.

you won't get the $15-18K you put in the kitchen back when you sell. You could either leave it like it is, and take it off your price (figure the $$ you don't put into it as profit.) Or you could just freshen it up with new paint, floor and cabinet doors.

Either option you still have a kitchen to brew beer in...

Or you could just buy a banjo burner for $40...

B

you won't get the $15-18K you put in the kitchen back when you sell. You could either leave it like it is, and take it off your price (figure the $$ you don't put into it as profit.) Or you could just freshen it up with new paint, floor and cabinet doors.

Either option you still have a kitchen to brew beer in...

B

Historically kitchens and baths are the two places you actually make money on remodels, and like was said they enable houses to sell. All of that is as long as the kitchen is done to the same degree as the rest of the house (ie a $250K kitchen in a house that you bought for $100K you won't get your money back)

B

this is my recommendation. Who says no kitchen needs to affect brewing. this is also the perfect time to convince the wife you need the burner. You need to be able to have some way of boiling water while the remodel is going on.

this is my recommendation. Who says no kitchen needs to affect brewing. this is also the perfect time to convince the wife you need the burner. You need to be able to have some way of boiling water while the remodel is going on.

Or just buy and and then during the remodel be like O crap, this won't work - and I can't find the receipt, I guess I will just have to use it for brewing :D

Or just buy and and then during the remodel be like O crap, this won't work - and I can't find the receipt, I guess I will just have to use it for brewing :D

I, apparently unlike some here, wear the pants in my house. I buy what I want, when I want! :ban:

Back