Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Russian In-sights Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
A7teck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Russian In-sights Stout

I'm looking to make a Russian Imperial Stout for the winter months of 2010. I know this beer is going to be BIG and needs some additional aging. My questions are 1) how long is recommended for leaving this in the fermentor 2) should it be racked to secondary 3) how long for bottle conditioning. My initial feeling is 3 months (one in the fermentor, two in the bottles) and I'd like to have it ready for Christmas.

*Also- I have a 6.5 gallon fermentor. Will I need to scaled down because most of the batches I've seen are 10g?*

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by A7teck; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Many here will tell you, time is your friend. Well that's especially TRUE for this style. It simply takes time for all those malts to meld together into a cohesive tasting experience. Your 3-month comment is appropriate, but more along the lines of: 1-month in primary, 2 months in secondary, & 3 more months in the bottle. Essentially a RIS needs 6 months or so before it starts to shine. I say all of this having just completed my first RIS which has very much followed my above comments, though others with more experience will have more possibly better info. Good luck, be patient, brew it now!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
A7teck
Recipes 

Looks like I may have to make the brew date on that a bit earlier! Thanks Phil!

Quick Reply