The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Rouse the yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
MBM30075
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rouse the yeast?

I've been trying to read up on this subject a little bit, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question.

I've got an American Pale Ale in primary. It's been in there for 3 days and airlock activity ceased sometime during the day yesterday (i.e., about 1.5 days into primary). I was going to take a gravity reading tonight, and I hope it's down where it needs to be (SG was 1.051, so I'm looking for 1.012 or 1.013). I kind of don't expect it to be down that far, though, so my question is what to do if it's not.

I've come up with a few options, some of which I'm guessing are terribly wrong:

1. Stir the wort/beer with a sanitized spoon to rouse the yeast. (How hard/long does this stirring need to be?)
2. Add more yeast
3. Boil a cup of table sugar and add to the wort/beer, hoping to kick start the yeast and get them to eat up the rest of the malt.
4. Deal with it and rack to secondary.
5. Wait a few days and check again... airlock activity isn't the best indicator.

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

It's only been a few days. Kindly step away from the fermenter and relax.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, if it is not down to the FG that you were looking for, check it again in another day or so. Chances are that it will continue to fall if it has not reached the intended FG yet. Always trust your hydro reading as the final indicator if your brew is done or not. Bubbling in the airlock will not provide you with the best information regarding the status of your beer.

If you are steady over the next few days on your SG, but still are over the proposed FG, you may have more unfermentables in the beer than you were supposed to. Did you brew this AG or extract?

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

number 4 is bad. the rest sound reasonable. but wait till its been a full week. the yeast may just be on their coffee break. also you may want to bump the temp of your fermenter up a few degrees. somewhere between 65F and 70F.

oh and never rack before 2 weeks.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
MBM30075
Recipes 

Tipsy, 2 weeks? What about the 1-2-3 rule?

Thanks for the replies. I'll be a little more patient with it for now. Would it hurt to shake the fermenter a little bit?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It won't hurt anything to rock the fermenter. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Ale ferments can go from OG to FG pretty quickly if you give the yeast the right environment.

Check the gravity if you really want to Do Something. Otherwise, leave it alone.

As some would advise:

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Panky Likes This 
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
Tipsy, 2 weeks? What about the 1-2-3 rule?

Thanks for the replies. I'll be a little more patient with it for now. Would it hurt to shake the fermenter a little bit?
1-2-3 is a good general rule for beginning brewers. It would probably work well for your recipe as well.

However, most experienced brewers have irrefutable proof that longer time on the yeast in the primary produces cleaner tasting beer. Not only does yeast ferment your beer, converting sugar to alcohol and CO2, but it also plays a part in cleaning up it's own waste and reducing the likelihood of off flavors like diacetyl.

All grain or extract? That will make a big difference in your attenuation.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
MBM30075
Recipes 

All grain. Second batch. I'm pretty sure my mash temperature was between 152 and 155 for 60 minutes. Maybe slightly lower, but I'm almost positive it wasn't higher. If it matters, I had about 63% efficiency.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
MBM30075
Recipes 

OK, OK, I'm gonna leave it alone.

Question, though:

If I'm going to forsake the 1-2-3 rule in favor of a longer primary (say, 2 weeks), what length of secondary should I have, if any? It's an American Pale Ale, but I have to say I'm not terribly concerned with clarity, just flavor. There's no real rush, but I was hoping to maybe have some ready to drink by the weekend of July 24th. Possible?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
OK, OK, I'm gonna leave it alone.

Question, though:

If I'm going to forsake the 1-2-3 rule in favor of a longer primary (say, 2 weeks), what length of secondary should I have, if any? It's an American Pale Ale, but I have to say I'm not terribly concerned with clarity, just flavor. There's no real rush, but I was hoping to maybe have some ready to drink by the weekend of July 24th. Possible?

Thanks!
I don't usually use a secondary, but having it ready in two weeks is really rushing it!

I usually leave it for three to four weeks in primary, then keg it if I'm not dryhopping it in the secondary.

Quick Reply