Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > rodenbach guez clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Donthoseme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default rodenbach guez clone

Yes it's crazy. But i just read the 120 minuet clone thread and i want to do my own brand of crazy. But instead of super high alcohol i want barn and boots flavor. I want to make a guez. I've read that several of these breweries use a giant cold plate to cool boiling wort and expose it to wild yeast in the air (this is to reduce costs because they won't have to buy yeast this way). That's a joke, ha ha......ehhhhh. Well anyway who has a recipie or a cool story. Is this 100% brett. Do i mash, sparge and then let it sit in the boil pot with 1# of crushed pale malt in a sack to sour the mash. Please someone give me guidance. I need to achieve this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Wyeast actually sells a Rodenbach blend called "Roselare".

Check out the brewing network show on flanders red and also Raj Apte's page:
Brewing Flemish Red Ale, by Raj B. Apte

Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Gueuze by definition is made by blending lambics from several different years to get a desired flavor profile... in that sense, you can't really just brew one. You make more than one lambic, and then you can make a gueuze.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will specialy use one hose just for bug beers. I understand that. But my glass carboy will be fine right? and can i keg this? Will the bacteria get in the seals of the keg and make it a bug keg? Please advise.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Wyeast actually sells a Rodenbach blend called "Roselare".

The Roselare blend won't be re-released until the April VSS offering, confirmed in an email I received from Brian at Wyeast; however, the Lambic Blend has the same bugs in different concentrations.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't keg a funky beer. For one thing, it'll be hard to get the bugs out. For another, these beers take a LONG time to mature. Traditional lambics are considered young after just one year in the secondary: the really funky flavor comes from three years of aging. This isn't something you just carbonate and then drink the next week - flavors will shift and develop with age, so it's really something you want to have in bottles so you can have some now, some next year, and hang onto a couple for a decade or more.

If you're interested in this style of brewing, I highly recommend reading Wild Brews. Chock full of info both about how these beers are traditionally made, and also how homebrewers can attempt (with the emphasis on "attempt": no wild brew can ever be exactly cloned, not even by the same brewery from year to year) to replicate them.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I wouldn't keg a funky beer. For one thing, it'll be hard to get the bugs out. For another, these beers take a LONG time to mature. Traditional lambics are considered young after just one year in the secondary: the really funky flavor comes from three years of aging. This isn't something you just carbonate and then drink the next week - flavors will shift and develop with age, so it's really something you want to have in bottles so you can have some now, some next year, and hang onto a couple for a decade or more.
Nothing wrong with kegging a funky/sour beer. Bugs die with heat and caustics just like brewer's yeast. I completely disassemble and sanitize a keg before anything new goes in, and I'm very confident that I'm not going to reinfect a non-sour/non-funky beer because a sour beer has been run through the lines or in the keg.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you are doing a Gueze, I would do your ferment and storage in the same corny. You do not have to worry about racking because the bugs eat the death yeast. Just put it in a corny, wait a year, brew again, wait a year, brew again, wait a year, blend, brew again wait a year,......

Quick Reply