New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Roasting drum for grains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Buzzroaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Roasting drum for grains

Hello fellow brewers! I've been reading these forums for a while now and this is my first post.

I've been brewing my own beer for about a year now and I'm in the process of transitioning from kit brewing to an all grain process. I've always been a DIY sort of person because for one, it's cheaper and secondly, the satisfaction you get from something you built yourself always make the final result so much better.

Anyway, to the point. I've been roasting my own coffee for years and built my own drum for roasting coffee about 5-6 years ago. When I realized what a great product it was I decided to see if I could sell a few. Long story short...It was a huge hit! I'm not sure if any of you have heard of it but it was called a Buzzroaster. Well, I got an email from a few homebrewers that were interested in using it for grain roasting. Being a homebrewer this was the ultimate "DUH" moment! Of course! Why hadn't I thought of that earlier!

The current design would not work due to the size of the holes in the drum, the grain would fall right through. So I built a prototype with smaller holes and tried to roast a batch of 2 row malt in an attempt to create a deep amber malt. My first attempt was a little over roasted, more of a brown malt but was still usable. One thing I noticed was it was very evenly roasted and roasted much quicker than I thought it would. I used Barleypopmaker's roasting blog as a guide and had to adjust the time and monitor the temps a little more closely. The second attempt was spot on and came out perfectly.

The ultimate DUH moment turned out to be the ultimate EUREKA moment! If there is sufficient interest in a roaster like this I may start selling these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Any pics of your buzzroaster? I checked out the blog you mentioned. It looks like it has some good information about DIY specialty grain creation.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Buzzroaster
Recipes 

This is a pic of the coffee roasting drum. The grain drum is at the local machine shop at the moment. I'm trying to have a few more made for friends.

The design has changed slightly from this one. It is no longer riveted together, but rather welded. I'm also thinking of going to a solid drum with the perf stainless on the sides so you can still view the contents and easily introduce a thermometer to check temps. My thinking is that a solid stainless drum will heat more evenly and will be less susceptible to hot spots in your grill.

Quick Reply