Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Reusing yeast from a chocolate stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
czeknere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Reusing yeast from a chocolate stout

Racked my chocolate stout into the secondary today and wanted to wash the yeast (White labs Irish Ale). Now, as I'm doing this I'm realizing that the sludge at the bottom is really dark and doesn't seem to want to clear up too much. Should I avoid washing yeast from a batch with such a dark beer? Will it impart a lot of flavors to the next batch I use it with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can wash it several times. Each time it should get lighter.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 12-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

If you wash it a few times you'll be fine, but don't take any chances, make sure it is clean before you pitch it. I re-used some choco stout yeast in a red ale and was lazy with the cleaning, the flavor came through noticeably... not bad but there.

Quick Reply