Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Reusing lager yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So my two mason jars of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils yeast slurry have been sitting at 55F for a week. I just looked at them today and they have expanded and bent the metal lids of the mason jars and started to leak out onto the floor. I took them to the sink and opened them up a bit and the yeast basically exploded out of the jars. Gas came first, followed by the little bit of liquid that was in the jar and then the thick yeast slurry. I released the pressure in the jars, recapped them and washed them off. Hopefully all is well for tomorrows brew. I really didn't think they'd do that, but I guess it makes sense, since I kept them at a temp that the yeast thrives in.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you don't pitch directly onto a yeast cake, you should wash the yeast. When ready, decant and make a starter the day before.
If you don't want to wash, pour cake into a flask, add a bit of food and put an airlock on it. You should only put a lid on yeast after it is washed...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply