New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Rerack off settled lactose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
well i know this is considered a no no in keging. but shake the keg a little. turn it up side down a few times. this should get the lactose off the bottom of the keg and hopefully mix with your beer. also try warming it up some. sugars dissolve more in warm liquids than cold ones.
How is shaking the keg a "No, No"?

Quite the opposite actually, it's common practice for speed force carbing. (although, IMO, not very effective for stable carbonation).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038 View Post
So what did the OP do? I am having this exact same problem now with a fruit beer that I made. Thanks.
I gave it a shake a couple of times, but once it settled, it still had a bunch falling out of solution when I'd pour a glass. Each pint had less and less in it, but I wasted quite a bit of beer before it seemed to stop. I probably should have just tried to rack off of it, but I didn't want to since it was already carbonated. If I had a cut dip tube I would have dropped it in and probably had better results.

Good luck. Hope yours turns out well.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It is not lactose. The solubility of lactose in water is 1 gm per 5 ml of water at room temp. I don't think it will be that different for beer.

1 gal = 3785 ml so that's 757 gms per gallon or 1.66 lbs per gallon for a saturated solution. You are well below that saturation limit.

Maybe the lactose was mislabeled? Perhaps Calcium Carbonate? Polyclar?

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What's not lactose? I'm pretty sure the stuff that was boiling in 2 cups of water and smelled and tasted exactly like milk sugar was lactose. I mean, even when you pull a pint it just looks and tasted like undissolved sugar. I'm glad you are good at math though.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm assuming the 1 pound bag I bought from my LHBS that said lactose on it contained... lactose.

As for it's solubility, I admit that it was chilled when I tried to dissolve it, and the gravity of the beer was a bit high, so... into the boil next time round.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I checked this again tonight and it has dissolved completely. Took about a week or so.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Having this same issue as well, apologies for the zombie thread. Brewed up the BCS Sweet Stout about 7 weeks ago. Bottled 3 weeks ago, first test bottle was opened and poored. Its still a little green, but my main concern is the heavy layer of lactose sludge on the bottom of the bottle and a lack of taste/mouthfeel associated with a milk stout. Lactose was added at the 60 minute mark of the boil, and was definitely mixed well at bottling...thoughts?

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
Having this same issue as well, apologies for the zombie thread. Brewed up the BCS Sweet Stout about 7 weeks ago. Bottled 3 weeks ago, first test bottle was opened and poored. Its still a little green, but my main concern is the heavy layer of lactose sludge on the bottom of the bottle and a lack of taste/mouthfeel associated with a milk stout. Lactose was added at the 60 minute mark of the boil, and was definitely mixed well at bottling...thoughts?
I've only used lactose once since my original post, and I used half the amount in the boil w/o any settling problems. Since you're dealing with bottles, you aren't going to be able to hope for a reduction in sediment with each pour from a tap. I'd say, try turning the bottles upside down a few times at ferm temps over a period of time. Then when you pour from them, make sure they've chilled for a good while and just try and leave as much in the bottle with the yeast as you can. I know this may not help much, but I feel your pain if that's any consolation

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Carrot, I think something went wrong in the process but for the life of me, no clue what. Its only been 3 weeks, we're going to try warming the bottles up a little and giving them a swirl to see what happens. The sediment wouldnt be a big deal, but it feels like the lactose is what crashed out. The stout is pretty good, but its not carrying the "milk" part as well as I'd have hoped.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Quick Reply