Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Repost Bottling after cold crash? Bottling from keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Robar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Repost Bottling after cold crash? Bottling from keg?

How many of you have tried bottling after cold crashing a brew?

I have some brews that have been crashed for a couple days, and another couple that have been at 37F for a couple weeks. This is obviouslky done to get the yeast to drop out, but I am running into storage problem and would like to bottle some of this beer. I have 50+ gallons of beer between primaries and secondaries and only 5-5gal. kegs. Even with a healthy drinking curve I am going to need to do some bottling.

Another question, bottling after force carbing. How is this done? I assume I need some special gizmo. Thanks

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robar
How many of you have tried bottling after cold crashing a brew?

I have some brews that have been crashed for a couple days, and another couple that have been at 37F for a couple weeks. This is obviouslky done to get the yeast to drop out, but I am running into storage problem and would like to bottle some of this beer. I have 50+ gallons of beer between primaries and secondaries and only 5-5gal. kegs. Even with a healthy drinking curve I am going to need to do some bottling.

Another question, bottling after force carbing. How is this done? I assume I need some special gizmo. Thanks
Temp crashing is a good way to drop yeast, but takes about two weeks. Afterward, tranfer to a serving cornie, and carb. After carb use a "beergun" or a counterpressure filler. These things are kind of pricey, but last forever.I prefer the latter (i have both). I have to bottle a lot because my daughter wants my beer (36). She has no way to handle cornies...........

Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
jdoiv

Recipes 

Well, if you want to bottle a lot of beer out of a carbed up keg, you'll need either a counter pressure bottle filler or the blichman beer gun. Neither are cheap though.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
Robar
Recipes 

I looked at the counter pressure deal today when I was at my LHBS They wanted 51.00 plus hoses, plus connecters, plus tax, plus the cost of air, plus...

For what they wanted I could buy 3 used corneys and been in pretty good shape. Neither was the answer as I didn't have the wiggle room in the budget.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stick a racking cane with a #2 stopper (ish - to lazy to go down stairs and look) into the end of a cobra tap. Trim the end of the racking cane to an angle so it doesn't stit flush on the bottom of the bottle. Stick racking cane end into bottle. Push #2 stopper into top of bottle. Depress cobra tap. Gently squeeze stopper to allow beer in and air out of bottle until full.

You just made a $5 beer gun.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
left field brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another cheap option is a piece of 1/4" tubing shoved into the picnic tap that is long enough to reach the bottom of the bottles. It helps reduce foam if the bottles are cool and still wet surface inside(add ice to sanitizer solution, or to distilled water after sanitizing). Use really low pressure and gravity if possible to reduce foaming as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #7
Robar
Recipes 

Okay I just did a trial with my getto picnic tap-bottle wand assembly. Here are some pics.

Well I'm rather displeased I can't get anything other than click it links, but we'll have to live with it.

So anyway I took the bottle filling wand that came with my origanal Ale Pale home brewers kit (I think). I stuck it through the beer bottle sized cork (#2?) then pushed the wand into the end of the picnic tap, perfect snug fit! Then I inserted the wand into the bottle and started filling using the tap trigger. You have to play wiggle the cork a bit to release the gas build up, but it worked pretty good. I had NO foam up or any other undesirable effects.

The beer was cold, the bottle was cold and wet inside, and I used low presure for the transfer. I didn't even sanitize the bottle for this trial run I just took a clean bottle, rinsed it with tap water and filled. Tomorrow I will do a more realistic experement with sanitized bottles etc. This was just seeing if the idea would work. Form what I could tell it worked like a charm.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually found the racking cane/tubing w/ stopper method to be easier than a true beer gun. One thing you will want to watch out for if you are bottling for longer term storage is that you're keg post, tap, ball lock QD and tubing all need to be disassembled and sanitized. All of these items tend to get infected quickly via normal use. Never a problem for normal use, but can be a problem for bottling.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Robar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I actually found the racking cane/tubing w/ stopper method to be easier than a true beer gun. One thing you will want to watch out for if you are bottling for longer term storage is that you're keg post, tap, ball lock QD and tubing all need to be disassembled and sanitized. All of these items tend to get infected quickly via normal use. Never a problem for normal use, but can be a problem for bottling.
Thanks for the heads up on this, I was wondering about it myself.

The whole thing did work out pretty easy as far as the filling went. I don't know that I want to do 50 bottles this way, but I am glad to know it works.

I may end up just sprinkling in a little dry yeast a couple days before bottling, then rack to the bottling bucket and prime as normal for the long term stuff. With that said, this is a great cobble job for taking a selection of whats on tap to share with some friends. Thanks for the help guys.

spbrewer Likes This 
Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
Robar
Recipes 

Well as a follow up I bottled up a keg of stout using my cobbled filling rig. It actually went ver ysmooth and I may have to rethink my earlier statment of doubting I would use it. Time will tell if it truly worked. If it can go a month or three without have an oxidized taste or some other problem I may employ this more often. I like to have beer on tap, but I also like to have bottled brew. We'll see how it ends up.

Quick Reply