Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Repitching on yeast cake question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Neomich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Repitching on yeast cake question

Sometime in the middle of last week I racked over my SNPA clone to dry hop in my BB secondary. I already have my next ale kit ready to go and I wanted to brew it this past weekend and pitch right onto the yeast cake. When racking, I left a layer or wort on top of the cake and immediately resealed the lid and airlocked it up. It's been sitting like that since mid last week. I figured a few days wouldn't hurt any since it's all still sanitized.

I'm not going to get the chance to brew again until this weekend. Is my yeast cake good or should I wash the yeast and try to make a starter to get the yeast going again? I don't want to pitch onto a yeast cake and have autolisys(sp?) set in.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

As long as you left a layer of beer over the top of it, I would bet that it is still fine.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best place for yeast is under beer. Ideally it would be best if the yeast were stored in a cold environment, say 33-38f. This prevents then from exhausting their glycol reserves, and inhbits bacterial growth.
You should check for the viability of your yeast prior to pitching on the cake.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
newbrewoob
Recipes 

Stupid Newb Question alert....how do we check for yeast viability?
Is "yeast Cake" the sludge on the bottom of the fermentor?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just subscribing to this post...I've been interested in re-using yeast and this seems like it would be the easiest way to do it.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Neomich
Recipes 

You can make a starter to check the viability. I didn't bother on this batch. Either the yeast was going to work just fine or I had a pack of dry yeast to throw in if it never started fermenting.

Yes, the yeast cake is part of the 'sludge' at the bottom of the primary fermentor. This yeast was highly flocculant(sp) and created a dense yeast cake that I had to try and get stirred up. It took longer than expected to take off but I reached my FG after about a week.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply