Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Repitching on primary = yeast bomb!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Repitching on primary = yeast bomb!

I tried this for the first time last night: I racked my saison (made with Wyeast 1214, known to be a very active fermeter) and immediately pitched a dubbel on the yeast cake on the bottom of the carboy. I pitched at about 11:00 last night. I atteached a blow-off hose and went to bed.

At 5:30 this morning, it was fermenting like nothing I've ever seen, and had already expelled close to a quart of kreusen. It's very entertaining just to watch & listen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

cweston,

I'm in the same boat as you brutha! I pitched an amber cerveza on top of a cake from an Amer. Cream Ale and WOW! The airlock is emitting a steady stream of bubbles, but no blowout yet. I had activity within 30 minutes of pitching as well. The fermentation temp is a couple degrees higher than a usual ferment, too.

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tried my first repitching just this batch. Worked fine. But since then I've read some site about required yeast amounts, and about 1 cup of sediment ought to do fine. I suppose anymore than a couple tablespoons would mimic how much is in the usual starter, next time I'll dump half or more of it out of the fermenter.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
I tried my first repitching just this batch. Worked fine. But since then I've read some site about required yeast amounts, and about 1 cup of sediment ought to do fine.
Yes--I agree that repitching on the entire yeast cake is clearly overkill, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything (except that I'm losing some volume to blow-off).

The advantage is that it's no fuss, no muss: I racked the first batch while the new batch was chilling, popped the airlock back on until the new batch was ready, then just dumped it in. No dumping the yeast cake into a new container or anything else that risks a sanitation breach.

You can always harvest after racking the re-pitched batch. I suppose the recaptured yeast would be less "mutated" after just one primary ferment, but I doubt that's really worth worrying about.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I pitch on the cake for very high gravity ales and barleywines. Since I like Milds and Browns, I'll do one first. I've learned to put the fermenter in the sink for the first 24 hours, although the next IPA might end up in the bathtub. There was a lot of krausen.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

David- mice in your secondary? wow! Now that's an interesting adjunct!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tried using a primary cake for the first time a couple weeks ago. The cake was from a dunkel weizen that a poured ontop of a weizenbock. At a gravity of 1.100 and no areation device I was afraid of it finishing high and sweet. Even without an areation device the cake took off the next day, racked to secondary after day 10. I did not take a hydro reading but the sample I tasted was to my surprise rather dry. Now to brew a lager to have a cake for a traditional bock.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #8
rewster451

Recipes 

Obviously you would want to put a similar style beer on the cake, since you're using the same yeast, but how much will the flavor be affected by the previous beer? Negligible?

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 03-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #9
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewster451
Obviously you would want to put a similar style beer on the cake, since you're using the same yeast, but how much will the flavor be affected by the previous beer? Negligible?
I did a porter 1st then an IPA after that on recipes I do repeatedly. No taste difference but recipe is the same yeast strain. I siphon down low; tilt the primary so there is little liquid left after I pitch. I also go to secondary after about 3 days when pitching onto a slurry as it is almost always done by this time.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:10 AM   #10
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I've never pitched directly onto a yeast cake but I recently started harvesting the yeast out of the primary. Both times it sat a week in the fridge. All I did was set it out the night before brew day and let it warm up to room temperature. It only took about 30 minutes for bubbles to start after pitching and after an hour it was rock and roll. I wish I would have done this years ago!

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply