Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Removing labels from commercial bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Some bottles are just a b***h to get labels off of. Pete's Wicked Ale is the worst in my experience, and so I've given up trying (and buying their beer also) - the result is not worth the effort. Sam Adams bottles are famously easy to give up labels - a few minutes of hot tap water does it, so they are preferred by many (plus they fill them with a darn fine brew).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Flipper
Recipes 

+1 on the Oxiclean! It's not much more of a hassle as I need to clean the bottles anyways.

Primary - Fat Tire Clone
Secondary - Hop Rod Rye Clone
Bottled - Mack and Jack's Clone
Drinking - West Coast Blonde Ale

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
Some bottles are just a b***h to get labels off of. Pete's Wicked Ale is the worst in my experience, and so I've given up trying (and buying their beer also) ....
Same with Widmer, PITA
-ander

Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I'm another oxyclean user... 24 hours in initially hot water/with oxyclean has gotten the toughest ones loose...Honestly if I think to check on it, the majority are clean within 1 or 2 hours...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Try this:
I use this to remove labels one at a time as I empty the bottles. Works great and doesn't use much solution.
Cool solution for individual bottles...

Though I rarely have just one to do, unless I want to save the label on something cool. Usually I wait til I have a dozen or so and do 'em all in a bucket.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much oxyclean do you guys use? I must not use enough because some labels just don't budge for me no matter how long they soak. I do start with hot water. Also, sometimes the bottles get tiny crystals on the glass which need a bottle brush to remove. anyone seen this action?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

I use a couple of scoops in 4 gallons of hot water...

The worst bottles I've ever dealt with were O'fallon Pumpkin Beer

They're double laminated labels. The top label took 24 hours, and the underlable took an additional 24...and had a little gook that had to be scrubbed off.

No crystals, but some white residue on the glass...but that comes off with a thorough rinsing.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #18
Vorsicht709
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to use Javex and some hot water which worked well, until it somehow got onto a hamper of clean clothes and ruined them . Next time im just gonna use oxyclean

Hättet Adam Bier besessen, hättet er den Apfel nicht gegessen.

Translation: If adam had possessed beer, he would not have eaten the apple

Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
Duke
Recipes 

I found that having the bottles soak in a cooler full of ice water for a few days makes the labels slip off before you even pick the bottles up!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I fill the sink of with water and a bit of bleach. Submere the bottles and an hour of 2 later most labels are floating. Some brands of beer are a pain and i dont even bother trying - like alexander keiths - i think they use super glue!

Quick Reply