The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Removing labels.. baking soda!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
jwsquared
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyJLE View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been using a water and baking soda solution recently to remove labels with great success. However, I was just reading through Korzonas' Homebrewing Volume I and he mentions that soaking bottles in washing soda more than a couple of hours will leave a carbonate residue on bottles that can only be removed with a weak acid. Given their similar chemical structures, do you all think that baking soda can do this as well?
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and washing soda (sodium carbonate) are two different compounds. In any event, there are a number of weak acids available (e.g. vinegar).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #32
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Anyone ever tried goo gone for the sticky residue? Just a thought.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #33
dongemus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Don't use Xylene without gloves and ventilation and then wash thoroughly with a detergent and rinse.... better yet, don't use it. If you're looking for a solvent then you can use paint thinner, goof off extreme, denatured alcohol, or any other toxic solvent. My suggestion is if you are having a problem with oil-based glue, try hand cleaner, the kind that mechanics use. It is much more safe and rinses away with water.

Great Lakes bottle glue is so bad now I stopped buying their beer! I hope the baking soda does the trick. Most other bottle just fall off.

I wonder how safe diluted lye would be? It is like concentrated Drano... Some part of me wants to try it though.

UPDATE: The baking soda didn't help with Great Lakes bottles. I think it helped others slightly, but I won't use it again because it adds an extra step of needing to rinse the baking soda water out of all the bottles.

Primary: Oatmeal Porter, Peach Mead
Secondary: Cascadian Dark Ale, Quad Trappist
Bottled: Iced Coffee Ale, Honey Ale, Quad Trappist, Old Norse Ale, Coconut Porter

http://riotbeer.com

Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Anyone ever tried goo gone for the sticky residue? Just a thought.
Tried Goo Gone. Rogue glue just shrugs it off and giggles.

but, Goo Gone worked on other glues. You just gotta keep trying solvents and see what works on a particular glue.

OTOH, I have a regular little 2-gallon SS stock pot from Walmart. Tried to remove the big outside label. Nothing worked. Even put it in a fire for 1/2 hour. Paper burns off, right? Most of the label is still on the pot to this day.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #35
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Before I saw this site, I was putting bottles in the dishwasher with the labels on. Then about 15min in I pause the cycle, peel off the labels since by this time they slip right off, and continue with the cycle. At the end, the bottles come out clean with no sticky glue.

Any chance the glue will clog up my drain? Or is it the label that does the clogging?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #36
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually find the labels either come off during their Oxyclean soak (to loosen remove anything inside the bottles), or they won't ever come off. Some pro breweries use overly powerful adhesives (ahem, Alpine Beer Co.)

Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #37
ReddHead
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123 View Post
Before I saw this site, I was putting bottles in the dishwasher with the labels on. Then about 15min in I pause the cycle, peel off the labels since by this time they slip right off, and continue with the cycle. At the end, the bottles come out clean with no sticky glue.

Any chance the glue will clog up my drain? Or is it the label that does the clogging?

Thanks
The label can clog it but probably not the glue. Probably not great for the dishwasher though.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #38
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dishwasher is probably a bad idea.

I had pretty good luck just throwing the heineken bottles with labels removed in a double starsan mixture. I left them for days if not weeks and they scrubbed right off unless some plastic from the label was left on. Didn't work for everything, but heineken was one of the hardest labels to remove.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All you need to do to get MOST labels off is get your brew pot fill it with water and boil them for about 20 seconds to maybe a minute the labels fall of in the water.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #40
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There isnt' really anything that you would want to soak your bottle in to get off the oil/block copolymer based adhesives off. Toluene or benzene will work very well for most hotmelt adhesive labels, but you don't want to play around with that.

One inert option is just heat since they are just block copolymer or polyolefin based hotmelts. still will need some solvent to get the residue off though.

Quick Reply