The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Removing labels.. baking soda!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Lye works even better. I soak my bottles in a lye bath for 15 minutes and the labels fall off. You can get lye at many DIY/hardware stores in the septic/drain cleaning section. (Or you can get the food-grade lye online and make some awesome pretzles with it too!)

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been using oxy clean. I have a plastic tote that is filled with a water/oxyclean solution perpetually. I dump in some bottles the night before, and in the morning, give them a quick wipe with a rag and set them aside to dry. When I want to bottle, I just soak in the bathtub in some hot water while I get all my other stuff set up, give them a quick rinse on the bottle washer, fill with the star san and get bottling!

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwiggin'
What is ratio water/baking soda you used on the wine bottles?
... I just shaked the open family-size bag of baking soda three times! I guess two good handfulls or so.

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer
Sticker goop - best removed with a chemical called zylene - you can buy at the hardware store. Soak a rag and wipe wet onto 6-12 bottles, then start at the beginning and wipe adhesive off.

Its a method that we use to remove industrial adhesives from vehicles - it will work. Just don't soak the bottles in it it will ruin them - this stuff stinks. Wash off with you cleanser of choice.

I don't remove the labels so no worries for me there. I bought a couple of cases, so if I am looking for presentation, I just use those.
Zylene is a weight loss drug...

If you are referring to Xylene I am not sure it is safe for food applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Makes the rest of the day really mellow I bet.

LOL - very funny

- JVD_X

Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
indianlakerat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer View Post
Sticker goop - best removed with a chemical called zylene - you can buy at the hardware store. Soak a rag and wipe wet onto 6-12 bottles, then start at the beginning and wipe adhesive off.

Its a method that we use to remove industrial adhesives from vehicles - it will work. Just don't soak the bottles in it it will ruin them - this stuff stinks. Wash off with you cleanser of choice.

I don't remove the labels so no worries for me there. I bought a couple of cases, so if I am looking for presentation, I just use those.

I sell concrete and zylene is great for cleaning off wet and dry concrete. It is also poison and a carcinogen

Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
Dawggy_Stile
Recipes 

Baking soda works!
A 3 - 4 hour soak in a sink mixed with Palmolive sprinkled with baking soda mixed in, a quick scratch off with a butter knife then finish up with a Scotch Brite pad..at least it works on Great Lakes Brewery bottles.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawggy_Stile View Post
Baking soda works!
A 3 - 4 hour soak in a sink mixed with Palmolive sprinkled with baking soda mixed in, a quick scratch off with a butter knife then finish up with a Scotch Brite pad..at least it works on Great Lakes Brewery bottles.

GLB bottles changed their glue not too long ago. Before that, soaking in water worked OK. Different bottles require different solutions. Literally. I have some old half strength starsan that is taking paint off of Ruination bottles in less than 24 hours. Railbender bottles seem to use a petroleum based glue and is a real pain.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
noble13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
does this only work on paper labels only or would it work on those annoying Heineken labels too? I have a source to get all the free Heineken bottles i want but removing the labels it horrible, I can peel the plastic off quickly but the sticker goop takes hours of scrubbing.
I've taken the sticky off Amstel bottles with waterless hand cleaner. Haven't tried with Heineken bottles, but I believe they're the same parent company. Do this while the bottle is dry - water will significantly reduce the effectiveness. I avoid getting it inside the bottle.

Back to the OP, baking soda has helped with foil labels, like on Tecate quarts. Saw it in a post a while back. I de-label other bottles after the Tecate bottles and the soda doesn't seem to make much difference.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
goatchze
Recipes 

Guys, xylene starts with an "X". (Yes, it's pronounced zylene).

I've never had any issues with just soap and water; my trick is to use the dish sponge. It's the kind with sponge on one side and "non stick safe" abrasive on the other. I just have to wipe each label a few times, then a slight scrub takes off all the glue.

That said, I'll definitely try a little baking soda next time!

Quick Reply