Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Removing Labels...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #41
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default ammonia & water

I cleaned 4 cases last weekend. I followed Charlies Papazian's instructions 1 cup ammonia for 5 gallons of water. I made a double batch. I have a kegger tub that holds 1.5 cases. I put the bottles in for an overnight soak, outside. Took three nights

In the morning, using rubber gloves, I lifted them out. I would say half the labels fell off the others wiped off. Bottles were; Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked Ale, Bud & Bud Light. After wiping them off I dropped them in another tub w/ just water to rinse most of the ammonia off. Later I used a jet bottle washer to thoroughly rinse.

This weekend I plan to jet wash again, sanitize, brush, and then bottle my continental pilsner.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 AM   #42
cap46
Recipes 

I use no rince sanitizer in a mop sink. I soak them for a few days to a few weeks depending on how quick I need bottles. Last week on vacation and cleaned labels off after a few hours Worked really well for the ones that don't need a lot of work like New Belgian. Also use a SOS pad to get off the glue.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #43
hoppedup

Recipes 

just did a bunch of random commercial sixpacks, so im posting observations, cause i asked about this last week before searching and finding this thread

anyway, what turned out to be the easiest to remove was the sam adams everyone had issues with. obviously their label application techniques must not be as consistant as their brew recipies Anchor steam, RedTail Ale, and Blue Heron were almost just as easy. soak 10mins in hotwater with some beerbrite and they just peel right off, and a couple swipes with the scotchbrite pad to get any of the left over adhesive on the bottle off. the only ones i gave up on were the Potomac Patowmack ales. the glue is superthick and sticky/gooey like contact cement. they must use elephant semen on those 'effers geez!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #44
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

I think the New Belgium beers (Fat Tire, 1554, Sunshine, Blue Paddle, etc.) come off the easiest. 10 minutes in water, hot or cold, and they slide right off.

For all others, I find 30 minutes in room temperature water and one of these razor blade scrapers takes them off with ease.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Quick Reply