Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Reinheitsgebot (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/reinheitsgebot-327675/)

Wirk 05-10-2012 02:55 PM

Reinheitsgebot
 
I have a few questions, I am brewing an ale, so far I've only used barley, yeast, water and hops. I am going to carbonate it with dextrose, am I following the Reinheitsgebot? if not, how to carbonate an ale following the purity law?

hopsalot 05-10-2012 03:00 PM

I think to follow the rule, you would carbonate with fresh wort

squatch 05-10-2012 03:00 PM

Use malt extract instead of corn sugar or mash some malt and make a non-hopped wort.

kgalle 05-10-2012 03:02 PM

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Krausening

Wirk 05-10-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squatch (Post 4074464)
Use malt extract instead of corn sugar or mash some malt and make a non-hopped wort.

So before bottling I mix it with this new worth and then I bottle?

Wirk 05-10-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgalle (Post 4074471)

thanks!, that's very informative, I'll read it.

ArcaneXor 05-10-2012 03:13 PM

A couple of things to note:

There are many versions of the Reinheitsgebot. The most commonly cited one is the original, from Bavaria, which, among everything else, prohibits addition of yeast (which, contrary to public opinion was very well known at the time) and wheat malt. It only existed in that form from 1516 until 1548, after which beers with wheat, clove and coriander were brewed again in Bavaria.

The other commonly cited version is the German purity law that existed from 1906 until 1993 (with revisions during that time). Under this version, additions of certain sugars WERE permissible for ales, but not for lagers.

Bernie Brewer 05-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcaneXor (Post 4074514)

There are many versions of the Reinheitsgebot. The most commonly cited one is the original, from Bavaria, which, among everything else, prohibits addition of yeast

Yeah, everybody seems to like to point that out, but they never seem to mention that the law was eventually amended to include yeast.

ArcaneXor 05-10-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer (Post 4074985)
Yeah, everybody seems to like to point that out, but they never seem to mention that the law was eventually amended to include yeast.

It would help if you read the entire post.

hopsalot 05-10-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcaneXor (Post 4075076)
It would help if you read the entire post.

Ahh Snap!


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.