Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Regular old chlorine in water - boil or let sit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
rappinkapc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Regular old chlorine in water - boil or let sit?

I checked with my local water district, and they still use chlorine as a disinfectant to treat the water, not chloramines.
I'd rather not use Campden tablets if they're unnecessary. However, there seems to be mixed advice about whether it is necessary to boil the water a day in advance to get rid of the chlorine, or if letting it sit in an open container for a day is sufficient.
I would also rather not boil the water, as it uses a lot of energy, but I would do it if letting it sit doesn't really work. What do you all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Could always try a water filter?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
backsaw13
Recipes 

I let it sit overnight - and I use campden...but i may try one without the tablet. I don't smell any chlorine after it has sat overnight....

Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
rappinkapc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Could always try a water filter?
True... I tried that once with my Brita. But, (A) it takes a long time to filter 7 gallons of water, (B) according to Brita "For maximum efficiency, filter no more than 2 gallons daily", (C) I would guess that would shorten the life of the filter, which is expensive (and wasteful) to replace more often than every two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backsaw13 View Post
I let it sit overnight - and I use campden...but i may try one without the tablet. I don't smell any chlorine after it has sat overnight....
I think I am going to try letting it sit overnight to see what happens. I want to strike a good balance between being cautious about things like chlorine, but also trying not to waste resources.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappinkapc View Post
I'd rather not use Campden tablets if they're unnecessary.
Why not use campden tabs? They are really cheap and it works very fast. Do you think they will negatively affect the beer in some way?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
rappinkapc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Why not use campden tabs? They are really cheap and it works very fast. Do you think they will negatively affect the beer in some way?
I guess my main reason for not using campden tablets in this batch is that I am making an organic beer from a 7 bridges kit. So... I would like to keep as many non-organic ingredients out of the beer as I can.
I guess I would consider using camden tablets if everyone really thought that letting water sit overnight won't get rid of chlorine.

P.S. According to my water report chlorine is about 0.94 ppm (if I'm reading that right).

Last edited by rappinkapc; 08-18-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: 20 ppm chloride, not chlorine

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What about just buying some store brand mineral water?

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
rappinkapc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
What about just buying some store brand mineral water?
Look... Obviously there are lots of ways to get water without chlorine in it. I would appreciate if someone tried to answer the original question as to whether leaving water out overnight will be sufficient to remove chlorine.

As for buying water... I was trying to use a method that would not use resources unnecessarily. Why use bottled water when there is water that comes directly to my house through the pipes?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Look... Obviously there are lots of ways to get water without chlorine in it. I would appreciate if someone tried to answer the original question as to whether leaving water out overnight will be sufficient to remove chlorine.

As for buying water... I was trying to use a method that would not use resources unnecessarily. Why use bottled water when there is water that comes directly to my house through the pipes?
Easy, man. You haven't gotten a straight answer because it's a difficult question that depends on many variables. Try googling "chlorine evaporation rate.". Temperature, humidity, vessel shape, concentration, all play a role here. Letting it sit for 24 hours will reduce chlorine. At what rate? Who knows.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Why use bottled water when there is water that comes directly to my house through the pipes?
Because that water is full of chlorine and makes your beer taste like $#%

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Quick Reply