Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Refrigerator or freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
Georgian Novice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Refrigerator or freezer

Quick question here. . .would you buy a refrigerator for a lagering fridge if one was interested in making those, or would you go for a large chest freezer using the temperature control with both? Pros. . cons. . indifference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would use a chest freezer with a temp control for a lagering chest. A refrigerator would have difficulty holding 32 degrees in the summer if at all.

Either way you go, you'll need the temp controler to step it down in temp 2 degrees per day.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've posted on this before and although everyone has their own opinion, mine is to purchase an older fridge with top freezer. I have one in my garage that was litterally free because I hauled it from someone looking to gain space in their basement. Most people sell these in the local paper for less than $100. The fridge holds a temp close to freezing because I have it set so low (and I like cold beer) and I still have the freezer to store hops and grains, etc. You can screw with the fridge temp to get a decent lagering temp (I've set it in the 50 degreee range) and still have a freezer. You can also use the fridge with a temp controller but you will loose the freezer ability due to cycling of power to maintain whatever you set the controller temp to. Dependent on the strictly freezer set up, I would find it anoying to open from the top all the time and have to "dive in", rather than a "front open" fridge/freezer. You have YOUR OWN needs...weight them and decide for yourself. My $0.02.

Quick Reply