Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Recirculating wort in boil kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
TTB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Recirculating wort in boil kettle

I recirculated wort in my boil kettle from my plate chiller to cool down the wort from 200->80 and also for 5 mins during boil (no counter water) to sanitize the chiller.

During boil, this caused a second LARGE THICK hot break and the foam never really died down. Any cause for concern?

Recirculation after boil for cooling from 200->80 before transferring also caused a lot of thick foam. Never had any foam like this at the end of my boil.

Has anyone else experienced this? It was a Russian Imperial Stout.

THANKS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
I recirculated wort in my boil kettle from my plate chiller to cool down the wort from 200->80 and also for 5 mins during boil (no counter water) to sanitize the chiller.

During boil, this caused a second LARGE THICK hot break and the foam never really died down. Any cause for concern?

Recirculation after boil for cooling from 200->80 before transferring also caused a lot of thick foam. Never had any foam like this at the end of my boil.

Has anyone else experienced this? It was a Russian Imperial Stout.

THANKS!
It sounds like cold break. Cold break looks like big goobers, while hot break is small fine goobers. But I don't know how you'd get cold break in boiling wort. In the chilling wort, that would be expected, though.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I am thinking it was recipe related.

I recirculate before the boil leading up to the boil and also much like you do for a bit during the boil. I have never noticed much of a difference in break hot or cold when I have ummm... forgot to recirculate.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
TTB
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok thanks.

Yeah probably was cold break when cooling....I have never cooled my wort this fast (first time with plate chiller).

During the boil, could have been recipe related, the wort was some of the darkest I've brewed.

Also, it was just kind of just shooting in there from the top of pot, maybe I should submerge the tube into wort when recirculating so there isn't so much impact.

Quick Reply