Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Recipe Advice - wheat beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Recipe Advice - wheat beer

I have to wait a while for my next batch because at this point I basically have no discretionary income due to the amount of money I'm spending on this wedding.

However, my bride-to-be, who cut her teeth on standard fraternity-issue Bud Light and (dear God) Beast Light, and who I am painstakingly weaning off the stuff, still dislikes bitter, aromatic, and malty beers, so for my next batch I decided to go for a wheat beer.

I've pulled together this recipe from various ones on the internet. This will be my third batch so I'm still pretty green, but I have this rebel streak in me that wants to make everything "my own":

Quote:
Boil volume: 6 gal
Top off: 2 gal
Goal volume: 6.5 gal

Steep, 30min @ 155, then Rinse @ 170

1# CaraPils
1# Malted Wheat

Boil

Extracts

8# Muntons Wheat DME (55%)

Hops - All NZ Pacific Hallertau Leaf, 5.3%

0.5 @60
0.25 @25
0.25 @5

Pitch: SafAle WB06 Dry Yeast, rehydrated

3 weeks primary
1c Light DME (boiled 20min) for priming
3 weeks conditioning

Goal OG: 1.054
Goal FG: 1.014
Goal ABV: 5.3%

Bitterness: 11
Color: 6
Any advice, suggestions, tweaks, red flags, etc. would be appreciated!!

I'm experimenting a bit with the specialty grains but I've read that the carapils and flaked wheat are good for flavor and head in wheat beers. Also this will be my first time priming with DME instead of sugar.

Also for this batch I'll be getting a hydrometer to monitor my gravity (I've decided not knowing my ABV is no fun!!) and I've read up on them on John Palmer's site among others, but I'm still not 100% on how they work, so can anyone point me to a good info page?

Sorry if I'm a bit noisy, I just like picking the brains of experts and veterans until I can reach a point where I have an opinion on stuff!

Last edited by bernerbrau; 10-13-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Updated Recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

the last time i primed with Wheat DME (Briess) it didn't work out so well. took forever to finish and always left some residuals i didn't like.

I've also heard that some people disklike the WB06 yeast.

if you're looking for a more american style (i'm assuming, based on your flavor and aroma hops), you could just us Safale S-05 if you're stuck on dry yeast. otherwise WLP320 is the liquid american hefeweizen and my personal favorite is WLP300 if you want the german esters (banana/cloves)

flaked wheat and carapils have no enzymes and they should not be steeped. i'd suggest adding some malted wheat. malted wheat has the diastatic power to convert itself and the carapils. steep in a little less than a gallon of water at 155°F for 30 minutes, then add to the rest of your water for your boil. this is basically a very simple and easy partial mash.

other than that it looks good!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Recipes 

I did WB06 for my last one (bitter dark wheat -- not sure the category!) and when I sampled during the rack to secondary I actually kind of enjoyed the banana esters underneath the bitter hops... completely unlike anything I've ever had before but damn good!

Updating my recipe -- thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

glad to hear it. i've heard somewhat mixed reviews on the WB06 and i think it depends on the style you want. i need to try it myself so my opinion actually counts

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Good advice on the steep, DeathB. I'd omit the grains altogether, myself, and go all-extract with this. But then I'm rather lazy.

You're better off using a neutral yeast with this, like S-05 or Nottingham, given the "target audience". If she's used to blandness, it's probably not the best idea to go throwing lots of yeast esters at her.

Try her on a bottle of store-bought American wheat first. If she digs that, throw a Bavarian Hefweizen at her. If she survives, make the recipe as written. If not, sub S-05 for the WB yeast.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Oh she'll definitely drink american hefes. I'll have to remember to pick up maybe a Paulaner or a Franziskaner (but hopefully not one that's spiced to death like a witbier).

In fact I just picked up a 6-pack of porter that she really likes

BTW she's my wife now. I wrote this a while ago.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
neuron555
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on the wedding. If she likes a porter, then there is hope for her.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There's hope for all those who haven't known a good beer. It's only those who have tasted them and returned to the "lights" who are lost to us.

Kyle

CrazyBastardsBrew Likes This 
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
wolfboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
I did WB06 for my last one (bitter dark wheat -- not sure the category!) and when I sampled during the rack to secondary I actually kind of enjoyed the banana esters underneath the bitter hops... completely unlike anything I've ever had before but damn good!

Updating my recipe -- thanks!
Its great to hear you had good experiences with this yeast. I am also a fan of wheat beer, and have several 11g packets of this yeast. I am wondering what you have done in particular to get the good results.

Did you control the temperature really well? or is it room temperature? How much of the yeast did you pitch? Did you aerate really well? etc...

I would really like to brew a weizenbock with this yeast, similar to an Aventinus. Its just that previous postings say this yeast is not good for high gravity brews.

Thanks for the advice. Cheers

Last edited by wolfboy; 09-09-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
bernerbrau
Recipes 

I fermented at room temperature with the WB06 -- hydrated the packet in a half quart mason jar filled with preboiled, chilled water, then added about a tablespoon of DME as a yeast starter. Brought out the clove and banana esters very prominently. I wasn't *entirely* prepared for that but I had hopped it so well (against most of the advice on this board) that it all balanced out.

Quick Reply