Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Real Strong Alcohol Smell....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Real Strong Alcohol Smell....

hiya all, nice site i hope to learn some tricks and tips.

this is my first batch ever, i got a midwest irish stout kit with a plastic pail to ferment it in. i followed all the instructions, paying particular attention to the sanitation and the no rinse/one step sanitizer... i cooked up the grains/malt/hops in the kettle on the 26th of december, the yeast took right away, and after a week it stopped bubbling... the woman at the local brew supply shop said to go ahead and bottle it the 2 or 3 of january and not bother to transfer it to a secondary container.

i opened the pail to transfer to the pail with the spout to bottle it and it almost knocked me over! the smell was good, but very, very strong, like if you would inhale the vapors of rubbing alcohol or everclear...sorta burned my nostrils

as it's my first batch, i'm curious if this is par for the course or a result of a mishap somewhere?

thanks in advance for any replys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
hiya all, nice site i hope to learn some tricks and tips.

this is my first batch ever, i got a midwest irish stout kit with a plastic pail to ferment it in. i followed all the instructions, paying particular attention to the sanitation and the no rinse/one step sanitizer... i cooked up the grains/malt/hops in the kettle on the 26th of december, the yeast took right away, and after a week it stopped bubbling... the woman at the local brew supply shop said to go ahead and bottle it the 2 or 3 of january and not bother to transfer it to a secondary container.

i opened the pail to transfer to the pail with the spout to bottle it and it almost knocked me over! the smell was good, but very, very strong, like if you would inhale the vapors of rubbing alcohol or everclear...sorta burned my nostrils

as it's my first batch, i'm curious if this is par for the course or a result of a mishap somewhere?

thanks in advance for any replys

That actually has happened with all 3 batches I've made...no problems!!!

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 01-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i went ahead and bottled it last night and sipped some before i primed it... it tasted wonderful! i hope i can wait a few weeks

Old 01-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
i went ahead and bottled it last night and sipped some before i primed it... it tasted wonderful! i hope i can wait a few weeks

Awesome! Actually, my brew has taken next to no time to carbonate in the bottles...like maybe 3 days. Of course, the flavor's a little "green" at that point, but it does get better over time....

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Quick Reply