Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Re Using yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
gwynclan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re Using yeast Cake

I have read a lot on the message boards about reusing yeast cake, If im going to brew same beer on same day I bottle/keg and want to re use yeast cake. Can i just pour beer into same fermenter airate and let go, will this be to much yeast and what will the adverse affects be on my taste profile. Also how many times can you do this be for yeast don't want to work anymore. I am just looking for an economical way to reuse some live product, and im lazy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can just pour the wort into the same fermenter and let it go to town. It is over pitching a bit but I've never had it affect the flavor. You can only do this once without removing some of the yeast or your fermenter will be several inches deep with yeast. We have a great sticky on yeast washing.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Whether it will be overpitching depends on the gravity of the wort you are pouring on top of the cake. Most likely you will be fine. I do this often and if your sanitation is good, you can re-use yeast 10 times or more though you will want to split it occasionally so you are not massively overpitching. Many excellent brewers feel they get the best beer from yeast that has been re-used 4-6 times.

You will also probably want to do a search for yeast washing. This will allow you to re-use yeast almost indefinately if you maintain a sanitary yeast crop.

Reason: I see I type slower than Nurmey....

Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Knocking out onto a yeast cake is never a good idea. In the first place, it is - outside of a very, very few specific instances which the homebrewer is unlikely to find - always overpitching.

It is not "a bit".

Overpitching is always detrimental to the beer. I'm not saying it'll taste awful. I assure you, however, that were you to place samples of the exact same beer - one fermented by overpitching and one by properly inoculating the wort - the one properly pitched will taste better. Blind taste tests prove it.

Harvesting yeast is easy. All you need is a sanitized scoop and a couple of sanitized Mason jars. Then you can calculate how much to pitch in your next batch and avoid overpitching into a positively filthy vessel. (Ew.) You can do this in five minutes, and take another five to ten minutes to clean your fermenter. That's not very hard. Harvesting also allows you to pitch your yeast out to many more generations than simply dumping fresh wort into your fermenter.

If a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing properly. It's worth doing to the best of your ability, effort, and means. Knocking out onto a yeast cake not only doesn't really save you anything at all, it also is guaranteed to brew mediocre beer in the vast majority of circumstances.

But if you insist on doing it, don't aerate. It's not necessary.

Have fun!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Lefe21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Harvesting yeast is easy. All you need is a sanitized scoop and a couple of sanitized Mason jars. Then you can calculate how much to pitch in your next batch and avoid overpitching into a positively filthy vessel.
Bob
So is it as simple as taking a scoop of the yeast cake and adding it into a sanitized jar to keep in the fridge? If there are no nutrients in the jar for the yeast, will this be a problem for long term storage?

Also, is there anything wrong with using parts of a yeast cake that was used in a secondary which had dry hopping? I doubt that anything outside of getting a little extra aroma would occur, but just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Knocking out onto a yeast cake is never a good idea. In the first place, it is - outside of a very, very few specific instances which the homebrewer is unlikely to find - always overpitching.

It is not "a bit".
Sorry Bob, but pitching onto a yeast cake is fine in virtually all circumstances unless you are pitching a very low gravity wort. Pro brewers I've spoken with pitch on cakes all the time and will only split the yeast after a couple of batches. I think maybe they might know a thing or two about yeast. You might want to do a little research before you throw out an always... no offense.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_O_Turbo View Post
Sorry Bob, but pitching onto a yeast cake is fine in virtually all circumstances unless you are pitching a very low gravity wort. Pro brewers I've spoken with pitch on cakes all the time and will only split the yeast after a couple of batches. I think maybe they might know a thing or two about yeast. You might want to do a little research before you throw out an always... no offense.
Just because their pros doesn't make them right. Cell count aside, Pitching onto a yeast cake in a nasty fermentor is just bad practice and it's lazy. all in my very humble opinion of course.

Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

When they are winning golds at GABF, then they are more right than I am. MHO as well, of course.

I don't get why the fermenter is "nasty", it should be no less sanitary than when the first wort was tossed in unless you are somehow contaminating in the transfer process. Please explain why it's "bad practice". If you are going to go with the 'overpitching' line, please also explain the detriments and when you cross the line to 'overpitching'.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's not really about whether it is Sanitary or not. Just look at a clean fermentor and then one that just had a beer racked out of it. For me the latter would explain Nasty and Bad Practice.

I just don't see why anyone wouldn't take a few minutes to hold back a proper amount of yeast cake then give the Primary a good scrubbing and sanitizing and then putting your freshly crafted wort into the spotless fermentor. It might take 15 minutes, tops.

But really, at the end of the day, WTF. If it works for ya, have at it.

Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, you mean the capitalized: "Nasty" and "Bad Practice", I see... Well, that explains everything...

Thank you!

Really though, it's not about being lazy, and I could give a damn if the fermenter is ugly, as long as it's sanitary. I get better beer from having a big pitch of active yeast.

I think Ray Daniels explains it well in "Designing Great Beers". But, like you said... Do what works for ya.

Quick Reply