Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Re-using the trub (yeast cake)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re-using the trub (yeast cake)

I have already read the yeast washing thread...

I will be brewing a Porter within a few days - so here is my question: I made a AHS Holiday Ale about a month or so back, then pitched a Williams Holiday Ale right on the yeast cake from the AHS as it what White Labs and worked real good. There was a bit of a delay (26 hours or so), but fermentation started fine and actually fermented longer and more solidly than the first batch(?) Today I racked the second Holiday Ale and have a Porter in the works a few days from now. I could not bring myself to pour that good yeast cake down the drain, so I quickly sanitized a mason jar in StarSan for about 10 minutes and poured the trub right into that - then sealed with aluminum foil and placed in the beer fridge. My thoughts are to use it on the Porter in a few days.

Anything stand out wrong with this for the experts?

Yes, I am a noob to re-using yeast - just need to know if this direction will work fine or if I need to grab another pack of yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you put a bunch of spices or anything in the Holiday Ale? Just thinking you might get some spice flavor you don't really want, but Porters are pretty robust beers and that might cover it up or perhaps you will even like...

Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It had spices, but it was not overpowering. Does it make that much of a difference?

Quick Reply