Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Re-starting a fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Brewmaster-D
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re-starting a fermentation?

Hey Gents,

Quick question on an extract brew. I"m assuming that I wil have to pitch a new pack of yeast, but, last weekend I started a Red Ale BrewHouse extract batch, pitched the yeast, etc. It fermented quite quickly for the following day, but then stopped. NO bubles/ activity for a few days after, so I stirred it up a bit, but no result. I have one of those heating belts on my primary, so, temp should not be an issue. Anyone have any ideas why it may have started off vigorously then stopped? I will probbaly pitch a new pack of yeast later today, see if that does anything.

Thanks again!

D.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

a short lag time is a good thing. means a good amount pitched, yeast had a good amount of oxygen to get it going. take a hydrometer reading. it may be attenuated (or 90% attenuated) and ready to rack to secondry for clarifying and conditioning.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Brewmaster-D
Recipes 

you think so?
Could be....I just never thought that a fulll 5 gallon batch would ferment to complettion in 1.5 days. It bubbled vigorously for about a day,, 1.5 days, then no activity at all, whatsoever. Thats what kind of makes me think it didnt entirely finish... But il take another reading tonite, see where its at.

Thanks!

D.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've seen it happen a couple of times, and there are numerous stories on here saying the same thing. Sometimes things just happen quickly...your hydrometer will tell you for sure.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default I had the same thing happen......

Same thing....I started with a M/F Canadian extract, to which I added about 3 pounds of dme.

Absolutely furious action in the airlock for about 30 hours, then it stopped like an anchor.

Since I was nervous, plus the fact that real newbies never take a hydrometer reading, I thought I should add more malt and start again with another pitch of yeast.

It worked even more violently, about same period of time, then stopped again.

I waited about twelve days before bottling. Primed and bottled. Ten to fourteen days later, I drank.

Yuck! Still really sweet, almost a cidery tinge of taste, and does this stuff bubble as I pour it into a glass! The head is about three times the height of the level of beer into the glass.

Will it ever "finish" inside the bottle, or am I fooling myself?

Quick Reply