Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "Re-Heating" Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
Madtown Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
if you need cheap ideas for a mash tun, look in the DIY section, there's one that'll run under $30 using a rubbermaid Victory cooler (5 or 10 gallon) and various Watts brass pipe fittings from Lowe's.

at least if you're after an insulated tun.
Under $30 is a bit generous unless you cut corners on the fittings. But certainly under $40 (for the 5 gal, at least).

Just to reiterate though, I also did my first and second PM batches in my kettle and bottling bucket (respectively). I'd say the bucket was actually easier (assuming you come close to the mash temp after infusion). I only lost about 3-5 degrees during the 60 min mash. Sparging is the only tough part. FWIW, you can make a REALLY cheap (under $10) lauter tun out of two 5 gal. buckets as described in Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing."
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply