Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > RE-Carbonate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Brewpilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default RE-Carbonate?

Hey yall, question. I bottled my Drowning Wasp Ale a couple weeks back, then left on a trip. My wife placed the bottles in the fridge after a week of conditioning and carbonating in the bottles. Here is the issue, I DONT THINK IT WAS FULLY CARBONATED... it is pretty flat, but at room temp it is "okay"... Here is my question, can I pull the bottles out, let them warm to room temp naturally, rouse the yeast and allow them to finish carbonating? If not, well... I will brew more! Shucks!

Brewpilot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It would probably work, yeah. Putting your bottles in the fridge doesn't kill the yeast... They will still be carbing your beer, albiet very slowly.

I would take them out, turn them over a couple of times to get the yeast back in suspension, then put them in a warm area of the house until they're at the level you want.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Brewpilot
Recipes 

I thought that may help, they need about another week out there I think... great beer, just needs a few bubbles! Thanks!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Most of the fermentation in the bottle takes place in the first few days the rest of the waiting is for the CO2 in the headspace to reach equilbrium with the solution (this is the act of actual carbonation). They may just be a bit underprimed, but the warm-shake-rest-rechill won't hurt anything except maybe throw a bit more haze next time it's chilled.

Quick Reply