Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Re-brewing airlock overflow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
lakebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re-brewing airlock overflow

Yesterday I brewed a monster Imperial Stout with a gravity of 1.13 and Nottingham yeast. This morning it had filled half a gallon of overflow, so I increased the bucket size to a carboy with half a gallon of water. By late afternoon the carboy had 2 gallons of overflow liquid in there!

So, I didn't want to waste the overflow and decided to turn into a blackberry stout by adding 3-4 lbs of thawed and slightly cooked blackberries. I also plan on putting some oak and Jameson in the secondary for a full flavor. Kind of like bourbon county bramble rye...hopefully.

Has anyone ever recreated a brew from overflow before?

I had a small sanitation worry, but there was always a 2 inch foam layer, so I think the CO2 should have kept it sealed for the few hours.

Thinking outside of the brew kettle here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice improvisation. Good luck.

What was the temperature of the wort/beer. I suspect it was high, and you might find a lot of fusels, needing lots of time (months) to condition.

I rarely get more than a few ozs of blow-off (generally none), so don't worry about the loss.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
lakebrewer
Recipes 

The wort was at about 75-80 degrees ( room temperature). It could be the reason, but there is not much I can do to control with the facilities. Also, it was just a monster high gravity brew.

Do you know if the overflow is made of something different than wort (I.e. Is it more just alcohol or does it contain more byproduct?

Quick Reply