Rapid Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
I started brewing an IPA last night and used a bag of ice to rapid cool the wort, but it worked too well (brought it down to ~50° when I was looking for the 66°-70° range). Anyone know if this will hurt the beer? Thanks!

no, it shouldn't cause any off flavor or the such. Your problem will be getting the yeast started on their fermentation work, depending upon the yeast strain. Most of the ale strains that are common like a temperature of 66 to 70 or so, just make sure your wort is in a place where it will warm up to that range and the yeast should get to work.

It'll be fine. Try to pitch the yeast when they are close to the same temperature, as to not shock the yeast. If they yeast is warmer from being at room temperature, or being rehydrated with warm water, you can add a spoonful of the wort to the starter/rehydrated yeast and stir, and do that over a period of time to "equalize" the temperature. Then when they are roughly the same temperature, you can add the yeast.

It will do nothing to the beer itself, though I would let it warm back up to 65 before pitching the yeast, that's what matters more. Yeast should be pitched at 65-75 F.

Great, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. I knew the chemistry behind the yeast wouldn't allow it to work until back to the desired temperature range so I let it warm first.

Latest posts

Back