Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Raisins for carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #41
yso191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm planning to brew a Baltic Porter around Christmas. I'd like to add a bit of raisin flavor. What amount do you think would work in a 5 gallon keg? My first 3 batches I force carbonated, but I can't imagine it would hurt anything to carbonate it this way and then hook it to co2 to serve. What do you think?

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #42
graduate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsquared View Post
Raisins host yeast on their surface.
Made a brandy along time ago that used no yeast, just raisins.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #43
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is perhaps the ultimate alternative carbonation technique. Will try it out ASAP - seems more reliable then bottling sugar.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #44
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
This is perhaps the ultimate alternative carbonation technique. Will try it out ASAP - seems more reliable then bottling sugar.
Well I don't know if I would say more reliable. So far it seems to be pretty damn consistent. I did mention the carbonation has leveled off but I plan to keep a few bottles and age for a while to make sure no bugs take hold.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #45
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso191 View Post
I'm planning to brew a Baltic Porter around Christmas. I'd like to add a bit of raisin flavor. What amount do you think would work in a 5 gallon keg? My first 3 batches I force carbonated, but I can't imagine it would hurt anything to carbonate it this way and then hook it to co2 to serve. What do you think?

Steve
Well, you have one advantage in that if you do too many raisins you can purge the gas and shake the carbonation out of the beer. If only it worked that easily with bottles.

If you scale the raisins up from 3 per bottle (assuming 48 bottles per 5 gallons) you could try 144 raisins.

A better way to do it would go off of weight, but like I said earlier I would suspect our weights to be inconsistent.

When I have the notes handy from the bottling day I could punch some numbers and figure out a good figure to go off of (or at least my thought process as to what you could do).

Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #46
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsquared View Post
Raisins host yeast on their surface.
I am curious about this. I do not really know how yeast works outside of bread and beer. My question is -- if there were still yeast on the skins of the raisins wouldn't it ferment the raisins in the package and make it swell? Wouldn't the same thing happen to apples or grapes if they were not treated? Or do the skins provide protection from the yeast so they do not ferment?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #47
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacotahBrewing View Post
I am curious about this. I do not really know how yeast works outside of bread and beer. My question is -- if there were still yeast on the skins of the raisins wouldn't it ferment the raisins in the package and make it swell? Wouldn't the same thing happen to apples or grapes if they were not treated? Or do the skins provide protection from the yeast so they do not ferment?
Fermentation also needs water. If you dumped the raisins in water any yeast on the surface would begin the process.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What if a raisin got stuck in your keg pick up tube?! Plugged! Either way, I am so trying this. Maybe I will drop the raisins in some SS for a minute. I have a pale ale ready to keg this weekend. I will fill a few 20 oz bottles.. Maybe 4 raisins?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #49
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
What if a raisin got stuck in your keg pick up tube?! Plugged! Either way, I am so trying this. Maybe I will drop the raisins in some SS for a minute. I have a pale ale ready to keg this weekend. I will fill a few 20 oz bottles.. Maybe 4 raisins?
I'd really have to question if a raisin could ever get up there. The pickup tube in a keg is designed to get practically every drop of liquid out. I don't think even a regular raisin would get up there, much less one that's been soaking in beer the whole time (since it would rehydrate and expand a little bit).

As for wild yeasts on the surface, although I typically poo-poo dunking foodstuffs in Star-San, I have to imagine a 30 second soak in Star San would be alright to kill anything off of the skin given that I think it would take quite a bit of time for the fluid to get under the raisin's skin.

Quick Reply