Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Raisins for carbonation?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #41
yso191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 72
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'm planning to brew a Baltic Porter around Christmas. I'd like to add a bit of raisin flavor. What amount do you think would work in a 5 gallon keg? My first 3 batches I force carbonated, but I can't imagine it would hurt anything to carbonate it this way and then hook it to co2 to serve. What do you think?

Steve

__________________
yso191 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #42
graduate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 155
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsquared View Post
Raisins host yeast on their surface.
Made a brandy along time ago that used no yeast, just raisins.
__________________
graduate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #43
Tantalus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 113
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

This is perhaps the ultimate alternative carbonation technique. Will try it out ASAP - seems more reliable then bottling sugar.

__________________
Tantalus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #44
DacotahBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
This is perhaps the ultimate alternative carbonation technique. Will try it out ASAP - seems more reliable then bottling sugar.
Well I don't know if I would say more reliable. So far it seems to be pretty damn consistent. I did mention the carbonation has leveled off but I plan to keep a few bottles and age for a while to make sure no bugs take hold.
__________________
DacotahBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #45
DacotahBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso191 View Post
I'm planning to brew a Baltic Porter around Christmas. I'd like to add a bit of raisin flavor. What amount do you think would work in a 5 gallon keg? My first 3 batches I force carbonated, but I can't imagine it would hurt anything to carbonate it this way and then hook it to co2 to serve. What do you think?

Steve
Well, you have one advantage in that if you do too many raisins you can purge the gas and shake the carbonation out of the beer. If only it worked that easily with bottles.

If you scale the raisins up from 3 per bottle (assuming 48 bottles per 5 gallons) you could try 144 raisins.

A better way to do it would go off of weight, but like I said earlier I would suspect our weights to be inconsistent.

When I have the notes handy from the bottling day I could punch some numbers and figure out a good figure to go off of (or at least my thought process as to what you could do).
__________________
DacotahBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #46
DacotahBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsquared View Post
Raisins host yeast on their surface.
I am curious about this. I do not really know how yeast works outside of bread and beer. My question is -- if there were still yeast on the skins of the raisins wouldn't it ferment the raisins in the package and make it swell? Wouldn't the same thing happen to apples or grapes if they were not treated? Or do the skins provide protection from the yeast so they do not ferment?
__________________
DacotahBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #47
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 913
Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacotahBrewing View Post
I am curious about this. I do not really know how yeast works outside of bread and beer. My question is -- if there were still yeast on the skins of the raisins wouldn't it ferment the raisins in the package and make it swell? Wouldn't the same thing happen to apples or grapes if they were not treated? Or do the skins provide protection from the yeast so they do not ferment?
Fermentation also needs water. If you dumped the raisins in water any yeast on the surface would begin the process.
__________________
boscobeans is offline
shanek17 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
Friedclutch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Citrus Heights, ca
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

What if a raisin got stuck in your keg pick up tube?! Plugged! Either way, I am so trying this. Maybe I will drop the raisins in some SS for a minute. I have a pale ale ready to keg this weekend. I will fill a few 20 oz bottles.. Maybe 4 raisins?

__________________
Friedclutch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #49
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 215
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
What if a raisin got stuck in your keg pick up tube?! Plugged! Either way, I am so trying this. Maybe I will drop the raisins in some SS for a minute. I have a pale ale ready to keg this weekend. I will fill a few 20 oz bottles.. Maybe 4 raisins?
I'd really have to question if a raisin could ever get up there. The pickup tube in a keg is designed to get practically every drop of liquid out. I don't think even a regular raisin would get up there, much less one that's been soaking in beer the whole time (since it would rehydrate and expand a little bit).

As for wild yeasts on the surface, although I typically poo-poo dunking foodstuffs in Star-San, I have to imagine a 30 second soak in Star San would be alright to kill anything off of the skin given that I think it would take quite a bit of time for the fluid to get under the raisin's skin.
__________________
mooshimanx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered a carbonation stone. Carbonation in 20 minutes??? Any good? Mike-H General Techniques 26 10-15-2013 01:26 AM
low carbonation porterguy General Techniques 3 03-05-2012 03:15 AM
Carbonation tgwells General Techniques 6 12-17-2011 12:58 AM
carbonation castillo General Techniques 11 12-28-2008 10:51 PM
carbonation gvbrew General Techniques 6 12-19-2008 11:23 PM