Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > raising temperature--need guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
drengel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default raising temperature--need guidance

ok . i have a porter in the primary right now. its a fairky typical porter, maybe a little on the dark side, i used alot of chocolate malt, crystal 120, black patent, coffee malt, and dark extract, whole leaf fuggles and k-goldings, and about a half cup of saved irish ale yeast slurry that was reactivated in a starter. og was 1.060, higher than expected. i brewed and pitched on wed. it got going by the time i looked at it the next day, was going fast and steady. on fri. i checked and there was no activitty in the airlock, so i swirled it up gently to re-suspend the yeast, but still nothing. i did this again twice yesterday, and nada. if i press on the lid, the airlock bubbles, so something is going on, but slowly. i know a 36 hour ferment is not completely abnormal, but its not happened for me yet, so im worried. the temp in the brew cellar is around 64-66. a little cold i know. i think i want to try and raise the temperature for a couple hours, and see if the yeast reactivates. whats the best semi-controlled way to do this, id like to raise it to around 77, but dont want to shock the yeast. no i havent checked the gravity yet, i dont like opening the lid unless absolutely necesary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Rookie
Recipes 

Check the gravity, you may be close to done.

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could put a heater jacket or electric blanket round your fermenter..something that provides a gentle heat. I've got a thick jumper round mine to try and keep a constant temp. A boiler jacket is another option (from a hardware / DIY store)

Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cold weather brewing

I experienced similar problems with the seasonal change. I had a brew going using an ale yeast.Temperature dropped to the upper 50's the day after I started. So, I added a cold tolerant lager yeast to ferment.

An electric blanket works great in keeping the yeast active. I've seen specialty heaters for brewing but an electric blanket is more economical. Many yeasts virtually stop below 68 degrees.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlightyBrewer
You could put a heater jacket or electric blanket round your fermenter..something that provides a gentle heat. I've got a thick jumper round mine to try and keep a constant temp. A boiler jacket is another option (from a hardware / DIY store)
a thick jumper? as in a jumper cable. dont have a electric blanket. im thinking about submerging it in warm water for a while. i guess i should probably check the gravity though. the one other time i had a slow ferment i kept checking the gravity and wound up infecting it and had to throw away the beer, so im hesitant to open it. i guess if i take it upstairs and spray disinfectant thoroughly ill lessen the chance of an infection. think its still too warm for lager yeast though.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, i sucked it up and checked the gravity just now. im glad i did too, its down to 1.020 and tastes absolutely wonderful. great chocolate, coffee, and roasted flavors. very dry, almost like an irish stout. not sweet at all. this is the first batch i used distilled water rather than off the tap and ill never go back. no off flavors to speak of. hopefully i didnt chance an infection- i sprayed a heavy dose of lysol through the room, and minimized its exposure to the air. still have to let it sit in the primary a few days to clear before i rack it cause i shook it up so much. i hope it gets down another few points, id like to see it around 14-16.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

well, that yeast slurry will work a lot faster than a starter or a vial/smack pack. there's a lot more yeast cells, so that's one reason why it probably fermented so quick. i'dleave it be, rack it, and get ready for the next batch!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i guess it worked out. after reading that post a couple weeks ago on yeast staters, the one linked to the maltose falcons website, i rethought my whole yeast pitching routine. i now make sure to get the wort as aerated as possible, and pitch a decent amount so it doesnt waste time multiplying. very happy with the results so far. kudos to whoever posted that link.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drengel
a thick jumper?
Apologies, it's the Anglo / American language differencies again...

English / American English:-

jumper / sweater
Bonnet / Hood
Boot / Trunk
Backside / Fanny
Fag / Cigarette
Fanny / ....err, I think I'll leave it there!

Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

FWIW, I have been in this situation, and I used warm water. I just filled up the sink with 70*F water, and stood my bucket in it. By making sure that it is 70*F, you are not shocking the yeast too much, and can be assured that it cannot be raised outside the optimal temp window. I have noticed activity within a couple minutes. I have done this when, for some reason, they were not getting enough warmth where I was storing them. ONce I warmed them up, I put them in an area that I knew was getting warmth.

Simple and works.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Quick Reply