Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Racking wort from keggle techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
scsi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Racking wort from keggle techniques

Hey all —
I'm trying to decide exactly how I'm going to assemble my keggles. To do this, I need to decide how I plan to rack to my fermentation vessel, and I need your help.

All I've done in the past is stick my pot in an ice bath, and drop an immersion chiller inside of it. This typically dropped all of the crud to the bottom, so I could very easily siphon the wort off the top, leaving the crud in the pot.

There are many reasons I don't think this will work with a full boil in a keggle. I've seen false bottoms, pot scrubbers, copper pipes, etc..

What do you all do? What do your valves look like?

Cheers!

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I am going to do the whirlpool method I have my pickup tube on the side of my keggle and my trub cone will be in the center I should have roughly 2 cups if that left in the bottom after all is said and done.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Prefer the false bottom. Too much hops & trub for me to use the whirlpool side method as shown above. Full sized FB provides more surface area to handle all the stuff we want to leave in the kettle. I've done hop stopper & bazooka tube, neither of which worked well in my set up.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does whirlpooling 200-degree wort actually get the trub and hops and such down to the bottom? I've only used an IC, but have noticed that nothing seems to settle until the wort is chilled.

And the false bottom -- did you fabricate your own, or purchase one? Does it work well for hop pellets?

I wonder if a combination of whirlpooling and a false bottom would help? Or would the whirlpooling just force the crud through the false bottom.. hmm...

On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I use a weldless fitting with a copper dip tube attached. Dip tube is bent/angled so that it pulls from the bottom of the keggle (i.e. that little flat spot in the middle).

I use a hop bag, everything else that is pulled off runs through a CFC and into the fermenter. I don't bother to whirlpool anymore.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I use a weldless fitting with a copper dip tube attached. Dip tube is bent/angled so that it pulls from the bottom of the keggle (i.e. that little flat spot in the middle).
That certainly sounds like the cleanest solution.

Quote:
I use a hop bag, everything else that is pulled off runs through a CFC and into the fermenter. I don't bother to whirlpool anymore.

Do you use whole hops or pellets? I use pellets, and have a feeling a bag won't make any difference.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

as the odd ball here. I have been use'n my auto siphon, two years now with a keggle and I still havent drilled the hole. and I like it this way. I cool,let it settle and pull clear wort off the top. ahhhhh,one day .....

Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsi View Post
That certainly sounds like the cleanest solution.
Also, I don't bother with the copper/stainles scrubbie either--mostly b/c of the hop bag and I could never fit it on in previous versions of my ditube (before I had it at a 90 degree to the bulkhead like Flowmaster's setup).

Quote:
Do you use whole hops or pellets? I use pellets, and have a feeling a bag won't make any difference.
I also use pellets and it does work....I use the paint strainer bag that others on this board have used successfully..other bags may not work. I also throw some spoons in there for weight.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
as the odd ball here. I have been use'n my auto siphon, two years now with a keggle and I still havent drilled the hole. and I like it this way. I cool,let it settle and pull clear wort off the top. ahhhhh,one day .....
You know, I honestly didn't give that much thought. How do you chill? I've got a small 20ft immersion chiller from AHS that works great for my little stock pot, probably not so much for the keggle.

Quote:
I also use pellets and it does work.... I also throw some spoons in there for weight.
Brilliant!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bag my hops and that keeps a ton of crap off the bottom.

Quick Reply