Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Racking during whirlpool?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
natefitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Racking during whirlpool?

I am in the process of converting a keggle and I plan to run a curved dip tube to the edge to minimize the drag on a whirlpool.

It got me thinking... if I understand the principle correctly, it seems to me that the pressure gradient which forces trub to the center would be strongest while the whirlpool is still spinning. If this is correct you would get better results if you opened the spigot while the whirlpool was still turning or even while you continued to stir rather than waiting for the cone to form.

Whaddayall think?

"Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer." -Johnny Cash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If you had precise control of the stirring, this would be true. The Pros run a continuous flow through their whirlpools. But, stirring with a spoon, it's better to let the hops settle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think it would be best to let it all settle, as well. Remember that there is a lot of suspended break and hop material in the whirlpool, and it simply settles when it hits a pocket of slowly moving liquid (i.e. the center). It isn't actually 'pushed' there by a pressure gradient. Regardless, the moving liquid at the outside of the kettle is moving fastest and will actually have the highest levels of suspended sediment until everything has finally settled, so it probably won't work to siphon while the whirlpool is still moving.

Quick Reply