Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Racking, bottling, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
comicsandbeer83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Racking, bottling, etc

I have a question about racking and bottling my first brew. It's been just about 2 weeks since I began my brew. I fermented it in a bucket with a spigot and just the other night took a taste sampling and it was really good. Anyways, I'm going to rack it into a carboy in the next couple of days. One question is how long should I leave it in the carboy? I'm only racking it so I can separate the beer from the sediment somewhat before I pour in my priming sugar to bottle it. I will probably transfer it back into the bucket for bottling since the bucket has a spigot. (I sort of regret not just fermenting in the carboy but that's another story).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I agree with your observation about fermenting in the carboy first, thats the "standard" method (well, as standard as it can get anyway...)

You can leave it in there is long or as short of a time as you want. What style of beer? The more hoppy, generally the shorter time you want it to sit. The more malty / higher ABV beers can sit longer and get better.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
comicsandbeer83
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It's. Brown ale. Pretty low abv. Also, the carboy I have was previously used for wine. It was cleaned pretty well but there is still a faint yellowish tinge in it for some reason in parts. Should I scrub or will adding a few ounces of bleach for 5 gallons of water and let it soak over night be suffice?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 43

What size carboy, if it is a 6 or 6.5 gal carboy you probably won't want to keep it in there for long since you won't have that nice layer of CO2 to keep your beer from getting oxide. If it is a 5 gal carboy then it wouldn't be big enough to use as a primary fermentor if you are doing 5 gal batches.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsandbeer83 View Post
It's. Brown ale. Pretty low abv. Also, the carboy I have was previously used for wine. It was cleaned pretty well but there is still a faint yellowish tinge in it for some reason in parts. Should I scrub or will adding a few ounces of bleach for 5 gallons of water and let it soak over night be suffice?
If you can I would get some oxiclean and let it soak over night with that, I personally would avoid using bleach becuase if you don't rinse it good enough you'll get the chlorine/bleach flavor/smells in the beer.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
comicsandbeer83
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It is a 5 gallon carboy. That was the main reason I was leery of using it for primary fermentation in the first place.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 43

In that case I would look into getting another primary; another 6.5-7.5 bucket will probably only run you ~$15 and would be well worth the investment. Remember the more times you move the beer around the more chances you have of oxidation and infection affecting your beer. Ideally you want to go Primary-->Bottling Bucket-->Bottles for most beers; if you keg then Primary-->Keg.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
comicsandbeer83
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I do have an auto siphon, so I'll just use that for bottling. That way I avoid moving the beer again.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
fuelish
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
If it is a 5 gal carboy then it wouldn't be big enough to use as a primary fermentor if you are doing 5 gal batches.
Why not??? Has always worked for me, ya just might need to use a blowoff tube for a few days. No big deal, don't lose much, not to mention I don't care for big buckets (although in all fairness, I do use a 6.5 gal primary bucket for my meads, but....more mucking around involved in meadmaking, generally)

Quick Reply