Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Rack to secondary or wait out fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rack to secondary or wait out fermentation?

My blackberry wheat has been fermenting in primary for 8 days now and it's still bubbling away at 3-4 bubbles/minute. The directions state to rack to secondary around days 5-7.

It consists of 6.6 lbs of extract, 2 lbs of amber DME and 5 lbs of blackberries with an OG of 1.065. The frozen berries were added to the cooling wort and transferred into the primary bucket. I used Wyeast 1056 with a 1L starter and it fermented very rapidly, clogging the airlock twice in the first few days.

Let it finish or rack to the carboy, straining out the blackberries?

Last edited by 1fastdoc; 03-27-2007 at 05:51 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Let it finish. What temp is it fermenting at? I found that a few degrees lower fermentation will add days to the primary.
On the other hand, will blackberries add a bitter tannin flavor if left in too long? You don't want regrets later. It will continue to ferment in the secondary.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't rack until it's finished most of its fermentation. The directions are just guidelines, every beer is different and will need finish in its own time.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

temps range 70-73 although the first couple days were spent at 75.

I looked at it again and it's noticeably slowed to about a bubble/minute. I'll rack it tonight.

Now I need to find someway of straining the blackberries. I clogged my racking cane/tube multiple times when putting it in the primary and just finally gave up and dumped it all in. I think I'll go find a mesh tea ball strainer today.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In my two forays into fruity brews, I added the berries to the secondary. After heating and mashing with a potato masher. It gushed in 3 hours, all that sugar added to all that yeast. But it did take a while for all the sugars to work out of the fruits. But eventually the peels sank, letting me rack to tertiary by keeping the cane up out of the sunken glop. When the cane plugged it's tip, I figured I was DONE.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

well, it's in secondary now and still fermenting away although at a pretty slow rate. 7% alc and counting.

Quick Reply