Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Quick turnaround techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
After about 24-48 hours of being finished, the beer is ready to be packaged. I see no advantage at all for a 1.038 beer, especially a wheat, to sit for any prolonged length of time.

Proper pitching rate and fermentation temperature means a lower OG beer is ready within a very short period of time. I'd keg it by day 7-10 for sure.
Amen!! I can go from grain to glass on a 1.055 or less OG beer in 2 weeks pretty easily: 5 days to ferment out, 2 day cold crash, 5-7 days to carb. With a more flocculant yeast, it'll even be totally bright by that time too. I really don't understand all the "3 week primary" talk. I mean , I'm patient and all, but goodness.
dzlater Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Amen!! I can go from grain to glass on a 1.055 or less OG beer in 2 weeks pretty easily: 5 days to ferment out, 2 day cold crash, 5-7 days to carb. With a more flocculant yeast, it'll even be totally bright by that time too. I really don't understand all the "3 week primary" talk. I mean , I'm patient and all, but goodness.
I brewed a 1.054 Scottish ale with wlp028 a week ago sunday. I pitched @61F, and held it in the low 60's for about 2 days, then let it rise on its own to 68 F. It was done after three days (1.015). I raised the temp to 71 F for two days, then cooled it to 38 F for two more days and bottled it yesterday. It tasted pretty good. I'd rather do my conditioning/aging/whatever in the bottle while it's carbing up. I don't see much advantage to just leaving it in the fermenter, provided I have time to bottle. I usually find that after 2-3 weeks of carbing, a few weeks of cold conditioning really brings my brews around. But I'll probably start drinking it in 5 days anyway, lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
After about 24-48 hours of being finished, the beer is ready to be packaged. I see no advantage at all for a 1.038 beer, especially a wheat, to sit for any prolonged length of time.

Proper pitching rate and fermentation temperature means a lower OG beer is ready within a very short period of time. I'd keg it by day 7-10 for sure.
Exactly, pitch appropriately (to slightly heavy) o2, give it a few days for cleanup after initial ferment is over and given its a hefe, I'd package it. Secondary is usually pointless, especially in this case.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pretty much do everything everyone said (low ferm temp, then room temp to finish off). I cold crash as soon as I hit my final gravity. If I dry hop I do it in the keg while it's carbing. If not, I just shake it at 45 psi for two minutes. I almost never wait longer than 10 days to drink my beers, and they are clear and delicious.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's chilling! Dry-hopping begins tomorrow.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #16
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

This. It's a wheat beer... you're not waiting for anything to clear. Bag it as soon as it's done fermenting and drink it.

Quick Reply