The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > quick question w/starter (tried search)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default quick question w/starter (tried search)

i tried to get this question answered if my other starter thread, but either people stopped looking or lost interest
ok guys, heres the story. i made a starter on thursday night, thinking i would be able to brew on friday and if not on saturday. after a few days of rain (cant brew in the garage) and hectic work, im not going to be able to brew until tomorrow-meaning the starter will have been going to approx 84 hrs before its able to be pitched. right now its at the stage where yeast has formed the cake on the bottom, and when swirled, it breaks up into clumps, doesnt foam, and resettles...
looks like this-

now my question is, if i were to pitch the entire starter, is it basically going to act like a big vial because the yeast have settled?
or do i have to siphon the beer out of the starter and re "start" the starter?
i assume it will still work if i just pitch it as-is, but i would like to still have the "starting effects" like a fast acting fermentation if possible. thanks in advance for your patience!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i would chill the starter down to form a compressed cake on the bottom. Pop it in the fridge. Then pour off most of the wort on top, swirl and pitch the yeast slurry into your fermenter. You will be fine

Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
i would chill the starter down to form a compressed cake on the bottom. Pop it in the fridge. Then pour off most of the wort on top, swirl and pitch the yeast slurry into your fermenter. You will be fine
ok, so if i pop it in the fridge tonight, take it out tomorrow, let it warm to room temp, poor off most of the wort (leave an inch of so?) swirl it and pitch it?

Quick Reply