Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > quick blowoff tube question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
olotti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default quick blowoff tube question

Put a blowoff tube straight into the carboy tonight, elevated the carboy on one of those aerobic steps and put the other end into my 5 Gal BK filled with starsan to cover the tube. I see there is water returning up the end of the tube in the BK is this what we want to form the airlock? Thanks first time using a blowoff tube.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

If the wort is still cooling down you could get low pressure in the fermenter and get suck back. You only need a little Starsan to cover the end of the tube. I put my Starsan in a margarine cup and that inside a medium sized cooking pot in case the cup overflows. If some Starsan were to get sucked back, it would be a small amount. I use less than 1 cup of Starsan.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
If the wort is still cooling down you could get low pressure in the fermenter and get suck back. You only need a little Starsan to cover the end of the tube. I put my Starsan in a margarine cup and that inside a medium sized cooking pot in case the cup overflows. If some Starsan were to get sucked back, it would be a small amount. I use less than 1 cup of Starsan.
Oh geez I have half the kettle filled with water just because the tube is new so it curled and I wanted it to be covered. I just want the tube submersed in the solution

Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
cjonesga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, you only want enough star san to submerge the end of the tube. Any more is only a waste of star san, but won't hurt anything.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesga View Post
Yes, you only want enough star san to submerge the end of the tube. Any more is only a waste of star san, but won't hurt anything.
Unless you get a reverse siphon, and get 2-3 gallons sucked into the beer.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Unless you get a reverse siphon, and get 2-3 gallons sucked into the beer.
That was my thinking cuz don't u want some liquid in that other end? Isn't that the "airlock" so to speak. If anything once fermentation kicks off theres going to be more pressure going into the solution with the CO2 than could ever suck back into the beer. IDK I'm new to all this.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
cjonesga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That much pull back would be an issue. I typically have my wort temp down to pretty close to where I need it for fermentation when I pitch the yeast. My understanding is that a large difference in ambient temp to wort temp is what causes the suck back. I would be interested in knowing what the variation threshold would be.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #8
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesga View Post
That much pull back would be an issue. I typically have my wort temp down to pretty close to where I need it for fermentation when I pitch the yeast. My understanding is that a large difference in ambient temp to wort temp is what causes the suck back. I would be interested in knowing what the variation threshold would be.
I actually cooled the wort to 62 deg which is my basement temp where I ferment. Gone all weekend and came back today and the thermometer on the carboy was reading 64 deg and still a little bubbling going on at the end of the primary fermentation. Judging by the hop gunk on the side of the carboy Krausen level got maybe 2-3" high so no worries of a blowoff but since I was gone didn't know what was going to happen. Nice yeast cake on the bottom of the carboy now so looks like the yeast is just finishing up a little, all went well looks like.

Quick Reply