Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Questions - Anyone Brew an Eisbock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 226

For freeze condensing you need to have beer that has just begun to freeze so you can skim off the ice crystals which should be nearly free of alcohol so that what is left has most of the alcohol left in it. If you are careful and repeat the process, you can increase the alcohol percentage by quite a bit. Starting with frozen beer may be more difficult. You might be able to separate the alcohol as it thaws though. Try collecting the first runoff to melt and test the gravity with your hydrometer. If it is lower than the FG when kegged, you have been successful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrasfield View Post
I just checked my fermenter downstairs and my probe was not reading properly and the temp dropped below freezing. I now have two frozen kegs. One is a maibock, so it would be possible to make it an eisbock, but I am not sure how to proceed. Should I thaw it completely? Should I thaw it partially and transfer, resulting in an eisbock?
Try doing both partially thaw and bottle a couple then thaw the rest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply