Questions about yeast harvesting? Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlyd

Reaction score
A couple months ago I made a yeast starter from a local microbrewery’s beer. I used it to make a clone of that beer and it turned out great. I started to think most of the beers that I brew use the same type of yeast strain so why don’t I do that for all my yeast? At around $7.00 per smack pack of yeast it seams very economical. The questions that I have are what is the best way to harvest the yeast from a carboy, how long will the yeast keep and what is the best way to store the harvested yeast? Also how long will the yeast in a bottle-conditioned beer be suitable for taking a reproducing? I am assuming that it is best to build a starter from my harvested yeast before pitching to a new batch of beer? Any insight from all you more experienced brewers would be greatly appreciated.

:mug:
~d

Not to sound short (I'm taller in person :D ), but search for yeast washing...in the search function...(I'm getting ready to log off and don't really have the time to lay it all out again. I hope you understand...);)

rocketcrab said:
That tutorial was great! But I have one questions: Is that from a primary or secondary?

It can be either.

If from the primary you'll have more yeast and you can regenerate it more often than you would from the 2ndary.

Damn You Professor Frink you beat me to it... :D

Back