New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Question for those of you that have used Fermcap for the boil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
abatsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question for those of you that have used Fermcap for the boil.

I purchased some 25 gallon SS kettles that are on their way. My question is could using fermcap allow me to do a 20 gallon batch that would need a 23 gallon boil? I've seen a video online with a 50 gallon boil in a 55 gallon pot, and I'm currently using an eight gallon pot to do six to seven gallon boils. So this is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I haven't used Fermcap before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2447 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 5659

I routinely pull off 7.25-7.5 gallon boils in an 8 gallon pot using FermCapS. The only thing I have to watch out for, for about the first 15 minutes, is too vigorous a boil. It's not a true boil over, but if it gets too vigorous it will still spill over.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
abatsch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. Do you use one or two drops per gallon? And how many drops do you think the one ounce bottle has in it.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatsch
I purchased some 25 gallon SS kettles that are on their way. My question is could using fermcap allow me to do a 20 gallon batch that would need a 23 gallon boil? I've seen a video online with a 50 gallon boil in a 55 gallon pot, and I'm currently using an eight gallon pot to do six to seven gallon boils. So this is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I haven't used Fermcap before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Absolutely! FermcapS is magic. I routinely boil 13.5 gallons in my 15 gallon kettles with about 8-10 drops. Works amazingly well.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2447 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 5659

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatsch View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you use one or two drops per gallon? And how many drops do you think the one ounce bottle has in it.
The dropper bottle I have doesn't have any instructions, so what I was able to find online says to use 2-3 drops per gallon. So for my usual boil volume (7.25 gal) I use 15-20 drops and have never had a problem with either the low end or the high end of the range. Also, it's been expressed as a concern that it will mess with head retention, but that's not true, just in case you were wondering. As far as the number of drops, I don't know, but it's quite a bit. 1 ml is about (and I'm using the word 'about' loosely) 18 drops. There are 29.5 ml in an ounce, so 531 drops. Yeah, I'd say it's plenty for quite a while.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
AquaDementium
Recipes 

I only use 4-5 drops for an 8 gallon boil. I've never needed more and walk away from the boil without worry for extended periods.
If you want to use Fermcap in the fermenter to decrease blowoff and fill your carboy up, you will have to redose. However, don't do this until krausen has formed. The fermap will floc out with the yeast, so don't worry about it affecting head retention.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
abatsch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys I appreciate the quick replies.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I use a drop per pre- boil volume...usually about 7-8 drops. Bottle says not to exceed 2 drops per gallon.

It's nice because it keeps on working during fermentation. I've never needed a blow-off tube in 100-plus batches.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Quick Reply