Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Question about Wyeast Roselare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathleticsfan
No problem - the Wyeast guy said to not hesitate to email him again if I have further questions, so if any of you have anything else you are wondering, let me know.

How are you all planning on (or currently handling) temperature control? If this will be sitting for a year, my initial thought is to just put it in a closet after it has fermented out, however the temperature fluctuation will range from the mid 50s to the mid 80s over the course of a year.
My plan is to store it in an un-used bathroom, in the shower . Temp range over a year is probably 65-74F, so not a huge deal IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #22
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post

My plan is to store it in an un-used bathroom, in the shower . Temp range over a year is probably 65-74F, so not a huge deal IMO.
Do you think you can rack to secondary after a couple months and repitch on the cake? Or are you gonna use a fresh pack every time?

Brew on folks!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Totes
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post
Do you think you can rack to secondary after a couple months and repitch on the cake? Or are you gonna use a fresh pack every time?
Given the 18 month time commitment on this yeast, I really think the $6 for a new pouch is worth every penny. Just sayin....

Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #24
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So, I've brewed two beers using this yeast - off the same cake.

The first one was a fairly standard Flanders Red base (per Mad Fermentationist).

I pitched the smackpack, no starter. This was in May, 2011. It sat on that for six months, then in November 2011 I added 3 pounds of cherry puree and some dregs from a handful of sours my buddies and I were drinking at the time. Left it on that for another 4 months, then racked it in March 2012.

So, 10 months on the primary yeast cake, total. It was intensely sour and fruity and robust. A beer I was very happy with, but it's definitely not a intro sour beer - it's profoundly sour.

I was so happy with it, I threw another batch directly on top of that cake. It's still sitting there, a year later. It has one heck of a crazy pellicle on it right now, too. I'll try to get a picture of it.

Anyway, great yeast, the smack pack is all you need. Just be patient with it. Stick it somewhere and forget about it for six months. Then taste it and decide what you want to do.

2013-02-28-19.05.14.jpg  

Last edited by xeerohour; 03-05-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added pic

Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #25
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totes

Given the 18 month time commitment on this yeast, I really think the $6 for a new pouch is worth every penny. Just sayin....
Well... I'll start tasting after 7-9 months. Either way, everyone I know who makes sours says that pitching onto a cake, even (especially!) after 12-18 months, produces beers with much more sour character and complexity, in less time. I plan to keep using the same cakes until they suck.

Order literally just placed for 2 packs Roselaere and 1 vial WLP655 Belgian Sour. I'm stoked... for next year.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #26
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it'll taste different if repitched. roeselare is different than a standard yeast, in that it is 3 different types of yeast blended. during the fermentation, the proportion of the yeasts change. some increase, some decrease. same reason not to do a starter with it; just pitch it and let it go. when done, dump and replace.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #27
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher
it'll taste different if repitched. roeselare is different than a standard yeast, in that it is 3 different types of yeast blended. during the fermentation, the proportion of the yeasts change. some increase, some decrease. same reason not to do a starter with it; just pitch it and let it go. when done, dump and replace.
It's actually yeast AND bugs. I'm looking forward to the differences

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #28
Wadian
Recipes 

Just tasted an 8 month old Oud Bruin that's been on a single smack pack of Roselare in the primary, and it was tart, funky, beautiful. No reason to secondary, IMO. Good luck!

I'm also going to re pitch onto the same cake. Always learning!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadian
Just tasted an 8 month old Oud Bruin that's been on a single smack pack of Roselare in the primary, and it was tart, funky, beautiful. No reason to secondary, IMO. Good luck!

I'm also going to re pitch onto the same cake. Always learning!
This excites me! I'm working on my Oud Bruin and Flanders Red recipes as I type this... will post for critique shortly!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Here are the recipes for the Oud Bruin and Flanders Red I hope to get to this coming weekend. Both will be 2.5 gallon batches that I'll ferment in 3 gallon plastic buckets, at least for the first 6 months, at which point they might be tasted... my plan is to keep both on the yeast cake for at least 12 months, bottle, then put more wort on those cakes. Any recommendations for changes are very much appreciated!

Oud Bruin
Est OG: 1.063
IBU: 23
SRM: 20
Est ABV: 6.5%

GRAIN
3.75 lbs Pils Malt
1.00 lbs Munich Malt - Light
8.00 oz White Wheat Malt
4.00 oz C60
4.00 oz Honey Malt
4.00 oz Special B
2.00 oz Carafa II (412L)

HOPS
10 g Crystal + 9 g Fuggle + 4 g Tettnang @ 60 minutes
(I'm admittedly using a bunch of leftover hops for bittering this beer...)

YEAST/BUGS
Wyeast Roeselare Belgian Blend (no starter)

Flanders Red Ale
Est OG: 1.056
IBU: 17
SRM: 13
Est ABV: 6.0%

GRAIN
2.00 lbs Vienna Malt
1.75 lbs Pils Malt
1.00 lbs Munich Malt
4.00 oz White Wheat Malt
3.00 oz C60
3.00 oz Honey Malt
3.00 oz Special B

HOPS
9 g EKG @ 60 min

YEAST/BUGS
Wyeast Roeselare Belgian Blend (no starter)

So that's where I'm at. I've also got some WLP655 on the way that I plan to use in a sour blonde within the next few weeks as well. I still have to work on that recipe.

Cheers!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Quick Reply