The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Question about Wyeast Roselare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
theathleticsfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The response from wyeast was really fast:

"This is a pretty common question. I typically give an answer based on my personal experience with this type of brew. I have done a few brews with the blend and have left all of the yeast in the primary for 1 year and have had excellent result doing so. That being said, I think it would not be too detrimental to rack the beer at some point before that, but I would go for 90 days prior to racking."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
tjBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A primary fermentation with the blend should give you a more sour profile, but Roeselare is known for taking quite a long time to develop that character. You are correct as not to make a starter. As for leaving in primary for the duration, the Brett will feed on the dead cells. I've seen and heard of both and it really seems like a personal preference. Just give this beer time and lots of it. It will pay off in the end. Cheers and good luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathleticsfan
The response from wyeast was really fast:

"This is a pretty common question. I typically give an answer based on my personal experience with this type of brew. I have done a few brews with the blend and have left all of the yeast in the primary for 1 year and have had excellent result doing so. That being said, I think it would not be too detrimental to rack the beer at some point before that, but I would go for 90 days prior to racking."
Rad. I'm not changing my plans then. Thanks for contacting them!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjBrewer
A primary fermentation with the blend should give you a more sour profile, but Roeselare is known for taking quite a long time to develop that character. You are correct as not to make a starter. As for leaving in primary for the duration, the Brett will feed on the dead cells. I've seen and heard of both and it really seems like a personal preference. Just give this beer time and lots of it. It will pay off in the end. Cheers and good luck.
Right on. So if I plan on doing multiple 2.5 gal batches, should I split the smack packs between 2? That only seems accurate...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
tjBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You may be better off with a pack for each. Would be a bit more cost but at least you know you are getting the right ratio of bugs to yeast.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjBrewer
You may be better off with a pack for each. Would be a bit more cost but at least you know you are getting the right ratio of bugs to yeast.
That's a good thought, cost isn't that big of an issue. Cheers!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 335 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Subscribed as well. I am a noob to sours and have one going with Belgian yeast primary and Roselaere secondary with cherries. Good questions and thanks for contacting Wyeast. Good info.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
Totes
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks for posting the feedback from Wyeast. I asked the same question on another site a while back and didn't receive one response. I have a Flanders Red going with a single pack of Roesalare. Was shocked how quickly initiated and vigorous the ferment was without a starter. I decided to rack to a 5g secondary from the 6.5g, stirring up the trub and taking it with. Essentially I racked just to reduce headspace, being I'm going the full 18 months .
Subscribed.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
theathleticsfan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No problem - the Wyeast guy said to not hesitate to email him again if I have further questions, so if any of you have anything else you are wondering, let me know.

How are you all planning on (or currently handling) temperature control? If this will be sitting for a year, my initial thought is to just put it in a closet after it has fermented out, however the temperature fluctuation will range from the mid 50s to the mid 80s over the course of a year.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
Totes
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm doing the same thing, just putting the carboy in a fairly temp stable closet in the guest bedroom. There's not much else I can do given the duration it will sit. I may have to figure something out this summer if it gets too warm.
I kept the initial fermentation low (67 degrees), because I was worried about what I might lose through the blowoff tube. (brett, lacto ect.)

Quick Reply