The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Question about RIMS system...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
r8rphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Question about RIMS system...

I'm desiring to gain more control over the Mash process and am thinking of adding RIMS capability to my setup...

Currently, I use a single keggle and a mash tun... I do the initial mash, collect the wort in a bucket, and do usually two batch sparges and collect those in buckets as well... Then I typically brew the next day, sanitizing the keggle and counterflow chiller, pouring the buckets of wort in and starting the boil...

Hoping to add a very basic RIMS system.. Pump, In line heating element, PID...

My main question at this time is about 'process'..

I want to stay with the single keggle for now, so I'm wondering how this works...

Typically, is the initial infusion done, and then the mash just 'soaks' without any recirculation, or does the pump run during this part of the mash?

As far as the sparge, are the first runnings collected and then the sparge is a separate process, or can the first runnings be used as part of the sparge?

I'm kinda 'hoping' it goes something like one of the following two scenarios...

1) The initial infusion is recirculated directly back into the mash tun for the first hour, and then the sparge water in the boil kettle is added in line during sparge, the temp being raised to the desired sparge temp, eventually pumping all the first runnings into the keggle as the sparge water is drained from the keggle, and continuing that process throughout the rinse...

2) The initial infusion is allowed to rest for an hour, then it is pumped into the keggle with the heated sparge water which is recircualted back into the mash tun while the temp is held at the higher sparge temp....

Hoping number 2 is doable.. It is the simplest...

Can anyone shed light on how it works...

Thanks,
Mark

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
r8rphan
Recipes 

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it acceptable to use the intitial mash runnings as part of the sparge?

IOW, to do the mash and then dump the runnings into the preheated sparge water in the keggle, and sparge with the whole lot (at the higher temp)?

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
BiscayneBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't do number 2 even though I've never heard of it done like that before.

I just built my RIMS system...pump, RIMS tube, PID, etc. and brewed with it for the first time about 10 days ago. What I did was recirculate the mash water during the entire 60 minute mash period. Normally, I batch sparge however this time I tried a continuous sparge where I pumped the sparge water into the mash tun at the same rate I drained the mash tun into the boil kettle...very slowly. Hit the original gravity for my recipe dead on.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
r8rphan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscayneBrewing View Post
I don't see why you couldn't do number 2 even though I've never heard of it done like that before.

I just built my RIMS system...pump, RIMS tube, PID, etc. and brewed with it for the first time about 10 days ago. What I did was recirculate the mash water during the entire 60 minute mash period. Normally, I batch sparge however this time I tried a continuous sparge where I pumped the sparge water into the mash tun at the same rate I drained the mash tun into the boil kettle...very slowly. Hit the original gravity for my recipe dead on.
So you collected the original mash first and kept it separate in a bucket or boil kettle while you did the sparge?

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Normaly ...well in a system that has 3 kettles ie MT, HLT, BK your coil would be in the HLT with your 168 degree sparge water. During the mash if you need to increase temp you would recirculate it threw the coil in the HLT at the end of the mash you would recurculate unitl the MT temp was 168 then begin to runoff into the BK and start adding the sparge water to the MT at about the same rate as the runoff into the BK.

Batch sparge works well also and you only need 1 pump. You would basicly runoff the intial mash after recurulating to bring the temp up to 168 then add part of you sparge water into the MT mix the mash the recirculate until it clears the runoff again adding the rest of your sparge to the MT mix again, recirculate to clear then send it to the BK and Start your boil.

It sounds like you are only using 2 kettles having the MT do double duty as a BK? Running off into buckets then cleaning out the MT and boiling in it if I understand corectly.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
BiscayneBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not exactly...
I started draining the mash tun very slowly via gravity. When I started to drain it I began pumping in my sparge water from the HLT to the MT...tried to get it at the same rate I was draining it. So I basically just did one long continuous sparge.

Last edited by BiscayneBrewing; 06-19-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just reread your intial post. So you are using a Cooler as your MT and a keg as your BK/HLT? The reason for running off into a bucket?

Why not put your element in your HLT/BK and basicly make an immersion chiller to heat your MT by recirculating threw the spage water, then pull it out for the boil. Seems like you would get more use out of your pid & element that way.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
r8rphan
Recipes 

I'm trying to keep it super duper simple...

the main info I'm trying to ascertain is if it's okay to mix the initial mash runnings in with the sparge water....

IOW, I do the mash (recirculating from the outlet of the MT back into the MT), then I heat up some sparge water in the HLT/BK and pump the contents of the mash tun (first runnings) into the HLT/BK raising the temp to sparge temp, and then recirculate it all (MT to MLT/BK to MT), finally pumping it all back into the HLT/BK and start my boil?

Is there any reason why I should not combine the first runnings and the sparge water and recircualte it all during the sparge?

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rphan View Post
I'm trying to keep it super duper simple...

the main info I'm trying to ascertain is if it's okay to mix the initial mash runnings in with the sparge water....

Is there any reason why I should not combine the first runnings and the sparge water and recircualte it all during the sparge?
The purpose of the sparge is to get all the sugars out of the mash, I would think that mixing your first runnings into the sparge water is a bad idea, I would stick with the bucket method until you get the hlt/bk emptied and then finish the runoff into the hlt/bk.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
r8rphan
Recipes 

I was thinking about the sugars issues last night and that what I'm trying to do is basically a BIAB brew only the Bag is a separate mash tun, and am adding a RIMS system...

So that then begs the question.. Does the BIAB method result in lower efficiency, in that it leaves sugars behind? If so, how much lower?

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin

Quick Reply